Hawaii Laws

Incognito

I keep looking for what is and isnt allowed... I THINK only Jacksons are legal here but I havn't found anything that says no to Panthers? Anyone know off hand?

i think ONLY jacksons may be the case because it is an island with a precious eco system, AND panthers could definitely survive and populate there...

i used to live there and NEVER saw any other chameleon species there (sold in store or by breeders) in HI...then again i was also 15 years old sooooo....lol

I'm pretty sure only Jacksons that are caught (or bred) in Hawaii are allowed. Hawaii will not allow you to import any non-native reptile from the mainland or Canada. So unless you know someone who has already snuck some panthers in Hawaii, I don't think you will find any.

Jackson's chameleons and some species of turtle/tortoise can be legally kept (I'm not sure if the law is clear on introduced anoles or certain nocturnal geckos), but everything else is exceedingly illegal. Panther and all other chameleon species cannot be imported, and if people are found with them (as some folks were with Veiled over on Maui a few years ago) the penalties are high: up to $250,000 fine and possible jail time, if I recall. Several introduced reptile and amphibian species, such as Gold-dust day geckos, Giant Day geckos, Green and Black dart frogs etc. are controlled species and cannot be kept, though I believe the penalties are less severe (a few thousand dollars fine).

Thankseveryone, I would love a Panther one day but am still learning so it will be a wait either way! If we move - maybe I'll end up with one :) But I'm in NO hurry to move lol

http://www.hawaiiinvasivespecies.org/pests/veiledchameleon.html

I've heard that you can no longer send even Jackson's to or get Jackson's from Hauwaii.

Importation of Jackson's chameleons or most other reptiles has been illegal for decades. Exports of Jackson's from Hawaii has varied from essentially unobstructed to completely banned. Right now a person is allowed to take up to four animals out of the state (to the mainland) one time only, those animals must be transported by hand (i.e., in carry-on, they may not be shipped), and after obtaining the proper permit in person in Honolulu. Animals cannot be transported among islands, and exporting from either the Big Island or Maui still requires obtaining the proper permit in Honolulu.

To me, this seems like a pretty good compromise between allowing people to enjoy the animals, given that erradication is infeasible, while at the same time removing incentives to spread them to new areas.

Back
Top Bottom