Having trouble handling your Cham?

Metric

i know i was.......BUT i read a tip from someone on this forum (i wish i remember who) in a random thread and their advice, which has worked WONDERS for me was to glue some branches to a glove.

At first i thought it sounded crazy but i was tired of getting hissed at, and even bitten once.

So i went to walmart, bought a pair of green gardening gloves, broke some small twigs from a tree outside my house, boiled some water and placed the twigs in (just incase) and hot glue gunned them to one of the gloves. I left the other glove twig-less so it could be more agile.

Much to my surprise, i opened my male veild's cage, extended the arm with the branchy glove in, and held a hornworm near the elbow of my extended arm and he jumped out of his cage and into my arm, and didn't hiss or show any stressful colours.

He doesn't mind my arms at all, but if i try to do anything with him without the gloves on, he freaks out.

Anyone have any idea how i can get him slowly used to my hands and not the gloves?

Anyways, just my advice for any new handlers out there with chams that have attitude :p

That sounds like some good advice :d i might just have to try that if my dads little one doesnt take to us too well

I heard about a guy that rolled in mud naked and attached leaves to his body trying the same thing. Not sure how it turned out,except for the divorce.

I'm going to have to try using a glove. I have to move my male veiled cham this weekend, and he hates my guts. looks like its time to make a trip to walmart...

There's a sticky in this forum specifically about this, might help: https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-handle-chameleon-18438/

Yeah I looked into that thread the second i joined the forum, But alas....My cham hates my hands (maybe the colour? or early association of stress?) But for some reason when my hands are in a green disguise he doesn't hiss, breathe heavily or do anything defensive/offensive towards them, he actually jumps onto them because now he thinks whenever a green glove is near him, it's gonna take him outside to the sun, which it usually does.

My only issue now...is to de-condition him from the glove and get him to become familiar to my hands.

I'm going to have to try using a glove. I have to move my male veiled cham this weekend, and he hates my guts. looks like its time to make a trip to walmart...

If your going to glue twigs to the glove (which i highly suggest) make sure you boil them first!! or wash them with soup then rinse them thoroughly. Unless you know the twigs are 100% safe.

Oh, and don't wear the glove while your hot glue-gunning the twigs on. I learned the hard way :' (

usefull tip. you could try getting tighter gloves, more similar to your skin color. Spraypaint them or something. At one point he should be comfortable enough to let you touch im.
:)

usefull tip. you could try getting tighter gloves, more similar to your skin color. Spraypaint them or something. At one point he should be comfortable enough to let you touch im.
:)

You know what, i think i may try that, thanks!!!

btw, how dangerous is a fully grown male veiled bite? they seem to be grandpa'ish in the teeth department. I've been bit by mine, he's about 8-9months old, and it didn't hurt, bad damn does his jaw have some pressure to it.

Is it panthers with the bad bite?

If you're going to spray paint the gloves, make sure that its safe for your cham. I rather get bit than have a sick/dead cham.

If you're going to spray paint the gloves, make sure that its safe for your cham. I rather get bit than have a sick/dead cham.

I'll probably just purchase a tan coloured glove, probably more cost effective then buying spray paint and going through all the hassle.

You know what, i think i may try that, thanks!!!

btw, how dangerous is a fully grown male veiled bite? they seem to be grandpa'ish in the teeth department. I've been bit by mine, he's about 8-9months old, and it didn't hurt, bad damn does his jaw have some pressure to it.

Is it panthers with the bad bite?

Na they just bit real hard. Never bled of a cham bite.

Good tips right there too, i forgot about toxicity.

I guess veileds are much more likely to bite than a panther? I have been able to feed my panther by hand since i got him in Feb and now he crawls onto my arm even when i am just cleaning his cage.

I've been working with my panther as well. He's a little shy to climb onto my arm. I started with hand feeding. He picked up that in about a week. He was very shy though, would sort of hide, then quickly lift his head, shoot at the cricket and then go back to hiding. Slowly he's become more confident. He doesn't hide much anymore. I've now started holding my left hand under his belly and while grasping food in my right hand guide him onto my hand to shoot at the food. He does this but then sort of freaks realizing he's on my hand. I allow him to walk back off my hand onto the branch. He would run back at first but now he's starting to move a little slower. I'm going to work like this until he doesn't feel threatened standing on my hand. I will then try to move him to a sunning perch outside his cage a reinforce that with food as well. I think the food reward thing is a great approach.

I heard about a guy that rolled in mud naked and attached leaves to his body trying the same thing. Not sure how it turned out,except for the divorce.

Thanks chuck, I can't get the picture of you covered in mud with branches sticking out...talk about hijacking a thread.:eek::eek:

Nick

NO I won't go there!! I do a lot for my chams and will try the gloce/sticks idea as my male veiled hates me & the world. Even if he didn't hate me, his grip puts holes in my skin.

my advise is to do with food. i dont think its a good idea to have a foodbowl now because i started feeding my chameleon single at a time and now wen i open the cage she comes running out. also one day a few days back i my roaches were used up so i had to go buy crickets and so i didnt get to feed for a day and the next day i opened the cage, put my hand out and she crawled on it to get to the jar with crickets! it was awsome!

but i dont advise to starve your chameleons.. it was just bad timing..

Back
Top Bottom