havent seen my cham drink water,,,

erik775

Established Member
since i up my veiled in her new cage i haven seen her drink water...:confused: i mist her cage 2 or 3 times a day real good...and its kind of hard to see her urine in her cage because of the plants inn it ...the cage is 25x25x48...what should i doo???shower her to make sure shes no dehydrated???

Do you watch her when you mist? What i mean is, maybe he/she is too busy observing you instead of that refreshing droplet of water. Happened to me a few times when I bought my first chameleon.

Are you noticing the common sign associated with dehydration? i.e. sunken eyes, stringy mucous, wrinkly skin

If your really worried, give it a warm shower for about 5-10 minutes. Make sure your out of sight.

You can also try taking it outside in the sun, i've notice they like to drink more when the sun reflects on the droplets. Dependent on your location, avoid if snowing ;)

Good Luck...
Ed

Get yourself a little dripper and let that run in the cage.I run the dripper all day long to make sure he has access to water.

Get yourself a little dripper and let that run in the cage.I run the dripper all day long to make sure he has access to water.

Sorry to be a bother, but I was wondering if you had any suggestions for what type of dripper. Do you mean the sort that bunny owners usually utilize, or something else? My Cham's previous owner had a tube running along the top of the Terrarium, but when we adopted him, the tube smelled moldy so we got rid of it.

Your help would be appreciated! :)

since i up my veiled in her new cage i haven seen her drink water...:confused: i mist her cage 2 or 3 times a day real good...and its kind of hard to see her urine in her cage because of the plants inn it ...the cage is 25x25x48...what should i doo???shower her to make sure shes no dehydrated???

Just curious, what kind of cham is it? My veiled just won't drink in front of me(maybe when i'm not around either!). My Kinyongia multituberculata on the other hand always knows exactly where to go once the MistKing is running. I think in the past several months, I have only seen my veiled drink once.

Sorry to be a bother, but I was wondering if you had any suggestions for what type of dripper. Do you mean the sort that bunny owners usually utilize, or something else? My Cham's previous owner had a tube running along the top of the Terrarium, but when we adopted him, the tube smelled moldy so we got rid of it.

They sell reptile-specific drippers. Not that you have to get one, but that is the kind of dripper you want. A simple bucket with the right sized hole, tube or anything else that would allow say a couple drops per second would suffice.

i recently built a small dripper system with parts from home depot it has adjustable dripper heads, multiple drip points and adjustable valve to set the water flow, all gravity fed i will post pics of it tomorrow. it was only about $25 to build and works great.

Just curious, what kind of cham is it? My veiled just won't drink in front of me(maybe when i'm not around either!). My Kinyongia multituberculata on the other hand always knows exactly where to go once the MistKing is running. I think in the past several months, I have only seen my veiled drink once.

yah she is a veiled ...and i have a dripper running most of the day...

no not like the kind the rabbits and guinea pigs drink from. They are sold at pet stores. I use one called the "Little Dripper" and they cost about 10 bucks and work great! My cham seldome drinks from mistings so I have to rely on the dripper cause I am not home all day long to mist the cage and make sure he drinks.

yah she is a veiled ...and i have a dripper running most of the day...

erik, if you are running a dripper, then most likely she is drinking at some point, but you just are not seeing her do it. I would try and get a look at the poop, even if you have to dig through the foilage and she what her urate looks like. You might be worrying for nothing!!!

Back
Top Bottom