Have some new issues with The New Kid

I'm surprised they are going to test the fecal without seeing him! I wasn't able to find any vets in my area that would do a fecal drop off. My recent entire vet visit, including medications was only about $114. But that was extremely reasonable. If your vet knowledgeable about chameleons? Even some reptile vets don't know much about chameleons. There is a vet directory in the health forum that you can peruse in case you need it in the future.

Good to hear he's eating. Superworms are a little addictive for chameleons and not the most nutritious so you'll want to wean him off those eventually...and unfortunately chams are known to go on hunger strikes for super worms.

Let us know how the fecal test pans out!

Positive update!

I guess whatever the issue was The New Kid is working it out.

He has eaten 6 super worms and one small horn worm in the past 24 hours.
Doesn't seem to be going after crickets yet.

He pooped this morning and I took it to the vet for a fecal exam.
Results tomorrow.

$96 for a fecal test?
That's WAY higher than charged for my rottweilers.
Is that normal? Doesn't matter, just asking.
Think the vet was POed that I wouldn't bring the lizard in for an exam.
They are doing drop off at the door service where I wouldn't be allowed in, and I didn't want to put him through that stress right now.

Steps in the right direction anyway ...
Flashes eating now!

Thanks for asking @bbyoda

Fecal test came back negative -
Ova and Parasite = None Seen
Giardia (ELISA) = Negative

So I reckon that's good!

Received an order of Discoid roaches yesterday.
50 1/2-3/4 "
50 3/4- 1 "
I do not like roaches, but these guys are kinda cute - for a roach.

He ate one yesterday and two today.
Huge win!

I'm happy to have found something he seems to like.
He had lost interest in super worms and the crickets aren't working out so well in his new larger enclosure with all the hiding places.

Ordered a Shooting Gallery feeder and last Monday and tracking says it will be here on Monday.
Hoping crickets will work out in there so he has a variety.

Still trying to workout the water (drinking) solution.
I hand mist several times a day, soaking the Pothos so that there are water droplets on the leaves for him, but I haven't seen him lapping water on his own.
Have been providing water via syringe - slowly dripping it so he can take what he wants.
I'll figure it out. I always do.

Thanks again -

Thanks for asking @bbyoda

Fecal test came back negative -
Ova and Parasite = None Seen
Giardia (ELISA) = Negative

So I reckon that's good!

Received an order of Discoid roaches yesterday.
50 1/2-3/4 "
50 3/4- 1 "
I do not like roaches, but these guys are kinda cute - for a roach.

He ate one yesterday and two today.
Huge win!

I'm happy to have found something he seems to like.
He had lost interest in super worms and the crickets aren't working out so well in his new larger enclosure with all the hiding places.

Ordered a Shooting Gallery feeder and last Monday and tracking says it will be here on Monday.
Hoping crickets will work out in there so he has a variety.

Still trying to workout the water (drinking) solution.
I hand mist several times a day, soaking the Pothos so that there are water droplets on the leaves for him, but I haven't seen him lapping water on his own.
Have been providing water via syringe - slowly dripping it so he can take what he wants.
I'll figure it out. I always do.

Thanks again -

Great news about parasites and the fact that he likes discoids, thanks for the update! Discoids are cute, I agree.?

Regarding water the best thing is to invest in a mist king. There's some DIY components to it but I know you can figure it out based on your iguana house. Foggers are apparently great for keeping chams hydrated too. Hand misting seems like way too much work, although it is some initial bonding time. Hornworms are great for keeping chams hydrated and chams love them so you could try those too. (Can't remember if you have or not.)

Thanks,
yes, he gets horn worms. Going for some more tomorrow.

The hand misting works for me. Studied the heck out of misters, and don't see how they could do a better job than I do. They seem a perfect solution for someone that doesn't have as much free time as I do! Figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Still thinking of a water wall for a water solution.
Seems moving water may attract and interest him.

I know I know ...

Thinking I'll get to of 'em so I can rotate them every 2 days.
Always fresh water that way,
and no bacterial growth if I wash them and let them dry out on a 2 day cycle.

If he doesn't like the water wall my wife can re-gift them! ?

Will report in if I go this route.

I do have a question - simply because I haven't searched here for the answer yet.
( this forum search feature sure helps find a treasure trove of information! )

My question is, can a chameleon be overfed?
Or will it just quit eating when it is full?

Thanks again!

If the hand misting is working for you, great! Another benefit of the automatic misters is that you're not disturbing their space as much as if you're hand misting. Just say no to the waterfalls, due to bacteria, waste of money (cause you'll eventually take it out), and you'd be rummaging in his cage and territory cleaning them out.

Chameleons can be overfed. Vieleds especially have a problem with overeating. Their casques get fatter. Obesity puts a lot of strain on their bodies. If you search the forum you'll see threads with pics of obese veileds.

Lots of chameleons (all of mine :rolleyes:) are secretive about drinking. Misting/spraying for at least 2 minutes 3 times daily helps stimulate and attract them to drink as well as helps them clean their eyes.

Back
Top Bottom