Have a baby with a tail problem-anyone seen this before?

Twitchet

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi all, I wanted to share with you my story , I bought a jacksons a month ago- Long story short as possible- on collection I saw it had skin stuck on it's tail but i took it anyway- I wanted to return it but a combination- in all truth- of me getting attached to it and the person not able to swap it I have kept it, I'm happy to try and help it but if not as least I know what happened to the little guy.
I have a panther,day geckos,dart frogs, boas, and I have had lots of help from member here for which I am so grateful for.
All conditions for his care are as they should be- the tail is the only concern.
Now that it is 100% I'm keeping him I thought I'd pot some pics and wonder whether anyone has had experience of such things- I presume the blood supply was hindered by the skin, I've googled and searched here for tail rot/dry gangrene but i have not seen any pictures that resemble his tail. See what you think. His name is Crinkles.
This was the day I collected him, i spent as long as i could with him- without stressing anymore than i had to with a tiny sable paint brush, gently dabbing the dry skin over his rump,arms-which was pressing into his arms, wrists and the two points on his tail, I used water and also shed aid- the skin finally came off,
All the time i've had him he is drinking- he was quite dehydrated when i first got him, he's eating very well but he hasnt shed yet-he is active and busy and keen to feed, bright and alert, i have had him now for 3.5 weeks

The day i got him-

then it went to this after a week- or two- it was a strange piece of skin that wrapped partially around his tail,I didnt try and remove this-not knowing what was underneath-

That piece of skin fell off the other day- it was a hard brittle piece and left a clean dry piece of skin underneath, not crusty or weeping, after removing the first dried skin pieces I've tried to let him do the recovery and not poke or wipe the skin at all, not that it needed it but I've observed rather than fussed over the tail to let him recover.

He is really quite 'healthy'- he is still eating and drinking well,active and alert,, he uses his tail i would say fully- curls it up at night and is able to use it whilst climbing- the skin is shiny and dark though, you can see the scale pattern like the rest of the tail of that piece but today the basking lamp was shining down and i could see light through the tail whereas i could nt with the rest. If it was rot surely he wouldn't be able to use it well? the kink at the end is straightening out, The real test will be the first shed as his main skin is almost a different age from this scar tissue and my concern is where the two sections meet how the skin will come away.
I would say to date he improves rather than deteriorates which is good.
I'm so proud of how well he's done but sad as I know there may be a problem and I cannot keep him if he loses his tail.
NOW

if anyone has any stories -successful ones would be most welcome- I'd love to know. Thanks

Hi there, that's very sweet of you to say- he is a peach isn't he-- the scale formations around his eyes are stunning. thanks again.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom