Hatchling Panther Eye Size Difference

dford21

Hey guys, first time poster! My panther egg hatched yesterday! It was a very fast hatching process, I noticed shrinking and sweating around 6am, by 1pm he had his head stuck out of the egg, and by 9pm he was up and about! He still has a little egg sac stuck to him but it doesn’t seem to bother him, he’s already made it from the bottom to the top of his enclosure (he is now asleep hanging from the top screen.) I did notice that one of his eye turrets is smaller than the other, and the side that’s smaller is the side he was laying on after pipping from the egg. Is this something I should be worried about? I don’t have a whole lot of behavioral info since he’s so new, and I haven’t actually witnessed him moving around, I just notice when he has moved to a completely new position after leaving him be for a while! I’m hoping I’m just jumping the gun on worrying, but I would appreciate any input as I’m very anxious about his wellbeing. Thanks!

While it could be life long, mine "filled out" by the time he was an adult. As a baby it was almost like the upper lip of the eye socket was missing and one eye would be a quarter of an eyeball higher than the other.

While it could be life long, mine "filled out" by the time he was an adult. As a baby it was almost like the upper lip of the eye socket was missing and one eye would be a quarter of an eyeball higher than the other.
Thanks for your reply! Yours didn’t have any issue with vision? That’s my main concern, that he won’t be able to hunt/recognize water properly.

Thanks for your reply! Yours didn’t have any issue with vision? That’s my main concern, that he won’t be able to hunt/recognize water properly.

NAh, even if hte eye was missing that would not be a problem. We have plenty of blind in 1 eye chams that grew up with 2 good eyes, that can still hit the target, they just have a blind spot and need to turn their head.

Please post a photo or two.

I had a chameleon that had eye cancer so the eye was removed. Within a few weeks he figured out how to hit the insects....as @nightanole said...they learn to turn their heads.

I had a chameleon that had eye cancer so the eye was removed. Within a few weeks he figured out how to hit the insects....as @nightanole said...they learn to turn their heads.
He is still very small and mostly just hangs out on the top of his enclosure, and he still has the dried umbilical/egg sac on him so I’ve been avoiding handling him at all. I’ll try to post pictures in a few days when he seems more used to being alive!
EDIT: is it possible for him to have cancer In his eye fresh out of the egg?

He is still very small and mostly just hangs out on the top of his enclosure, and he still has the dried umbilical/egg sac on him so I’ve been avoiding handling him at all. I’ll try to post pictures in a few days when he seems more used to being alive!

He got in a good enough position for me to take a photo showing the difference! It isn’t fantastic but you can definitely tell one is much larger than the other.

Attachments

• B14B04D0-8FC6-49D1-BAE0-735EE125770A.jpeg
    B14B04D0-8FC6-49D1-BAE0-735EE125770A.jpeg
    384.5 KB · Views: 92
I doubt he'd have eye cancer....it seems to be fairly rare in chameleon's eyes. I was talking about my chameleon, not because it had eye cancer, but because it was seemingly quite easy for it to learn to accurately hit its prey with only one eye.

Do u know if the difference in the size of the eyes was already there/started before it got out of the egg?

I doubt he'd have eye cancer....it seems to be fairly rare in chameleon's eyes. I was talking about my chameleon, not because it had eye cancer, but because it was seemingly quite easy for it to learn to accurately hit its prey with only one eye.

Do u know if the difference in the size of the eyes was already there/started before it got out of the egg?
Yeah his eyes were already like this when just his head was poking out of the egg, with the smaller eye being the one he was laying on.

Is it eating?

Back
Top Bottom