Hatching Baby Veiled Chameleons

ChefRowan88

Hi All,

I have quite a few eggs hatching this year and its my first time. How do you notice when the eggs are ready to hatch? What must I look for and if you have any guidance during the process it would be very helpful!

Also thank you to the admins for approving my request to join this forum!!

Welcome to the forum!

As the eggs near the hatching time, the shells will usually develop windows (spots that look thinner and a different color)....they should shrink and sweat too. They will split in an X shape at one end. Some eggs won't do these things and will just split at the end.

What temperature are you incubating them at? How are you incubating them? On what substrate? In the dark?

I am using a Lucky herp II Incubator at 26°C, the substrate is the same soil that my female used for laying them in. when i put them in, I added a little luke warm water at the corners of each box and sealed them a lid on each box. Theyre in the dark. But the incubator has a subtle light inside, for me to check on them every now and again.

Welcome to the forum!

As the eggs near the hatching time, the shells will usually develop windows (spots that look thinner and a different color)....they should shrink and sweat too. They will split in an X shape at one end. Some eggs won't do these things and will just split at the end.

What temperature are you incubating them at? How are you incubating them? On what substrate? In the dark?

I am using a Lucky herp II Incubator at 26°C, the substrate is the same soil that my female used for laying them in. when i put them in, I added a little luke warm water at the corners of each box and sealed them a lid on each box. Theyre in the dark. But the incubator has a subtle light inside, for me to check on them every now and again.

I usually incubate my veiled eggs at 72 to 74F and they would hatch in about 240 days. The warmer you incubate them the sooner they hatch...up to the point where you cook them and they don't hatch at all, of course.

When were the eggs laid?

I don't know how much the light will affect them. In the ground they would be in complete darkness and that's how I always incubate mine.

I use the coarse type of vermiculite to incubate them in. I've found soils and such stay unevenly moist and can cause problems with the eggs....others may not have hd this problem though.

The Eggs were laid on the 24th of August last year. So they should be hatching pretty soon. I have already begun to set up their nursery.

Attachments

• 20210102_195516.jpg
    20210102_195516.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 54
Back
Top Bottom