Hatching assistance

Hard to say, 48-72hrs after they puncture the egg.

I personally don’t do this as I feel that if they are not strong enough to escape the egg they aren’t strong enough for life. Some say it’s cruel but I say it’s natural.

I tend to side with this way of thinking as well. Thought crossed my though, with humans at least, premature babies that wouldn't survive without intervention usually grow up just as healthy or more. Tyson fury for example was a premature baby that they thought wouldn't survive apparently, look at him now... one of the baddest dudes on the planet. May not relate to humans at all though, just a thought I had because it may be a waste of a good cham. Then again, full term low birth weight/poor health are usually indicators of problems down the road rather than premature birth, so maybe that is more along the lines of a cham that can't get out of the egg.

I personally don’t do this as I feel that if they are not strong enough to escape the egg they aren’t strong enough for life. Some say it’s cruel but I say it’s natural.
All snake breeders help the snakes out. In there minds this is a captive breed animal why not help it thrive? Yes it won’t in the wild but they aren’t in the wild anymore

I've helped a few out.
Once the egg split at both ends and the chameleon couldn't push against anything to get out and a couple of times I've had twin eggs where one baby pipped into the other babies half of the egg and might have suffocated if I hadn't helped.

It’s sad but that’s a good way to look at it... :unsure:

LOL Thanks for the mention and the exception. I do cut eggs on the ball pythons I breed. This is a few reasons. Yes sometimes the snakes are to small or weak to break out of the egg, during incubation some snakes are smaller then others because of egg development, umbilical cords could get wrapped around the snakes and cause them to die before getting out. All these examples are done for the snakes well being and if in the wild they would surely die.

That being said, ball python eggs are about the same weight as a full grown female panther chameleon, if you make a fist that is roughly the size. The eggs are easily cut open and viewed inside without any harm to the snake itself. The snake hatchlings are WAY easier to care for then baby chameleons (no UVB, no misting, temp isn't a critical, feeding done once a week, just to name a few)

I do agree with Brody in saying that if the baby chameleon cannot make it out of the egg, chances are they will not survive. However there is exceptions to this, of course. That being said I personally would help a chameleon out of the egg if its been in there for at least 3 days. Some chameleons take their sweet time coming out. If you think it really need the help and if you don't help the hatchling will die anyway, why not?

Back
Top Bottom