Has my chameleon gotten bored of his food?

Erick_AmourBadr

My chameleon has been eating crickets out of my hand for about a week now, I'm working on getting him mealworms and possibly super worms as treats he's only eaten crickets in his life so I assume he's gotten bored of it. Whenever a cricket gets near him he gets really dark with vivid patterns all over him. What's up? It's almost like he thinks crickets are fruits now because he's TERRIFIED of fruits and veggies.

Maybe a loose cricket could have bitten him and now he is scared of them. That sounds like more than just an I'm bored response, which is usually just ignoring the food item. I would also steer away from mealworms as treats. They're hard to digest. Some hard to digest things like isopods can be good in moderation (isopods have a ton of Calcium for example) but mealworms just really aren't that nutritious.

I've hand fed him crickets for the past week he eats all of them out of my hand. Maybe he's just not hungry today? He's a juvenile.

You described him as getting dark and vivid patterns when you showed him a cricket. To me that seems like more than just not hungry. Maybe he is scared of you, or the cricket, or anything else you changed.

I really haven't changed anything my cat saw his crickets yesterday so he got up to his cage and stared at them but this was after he refused the crickets. He just started acting like the crickets turned into fruits or something. Could it be they got too big for him? I get 50 at a time of small ones so that

I'm clueless as to what it may be, he's acting a little strange lately. He likes to bask as if he was "fired up" but if he moves away because of the auto mister, he stops acting so.

This is what he's been doing for the past two days refusing his food.

Attachments

• IMG_2940.JPG
    IMG_2940.JPG
    206.3 KB · Views: 124
Yeah I'm no expert in cham behavior but you should probably buy some dubia if that's what he does when you show him crickets.

Back
Top Bottom