Has it always been about panthers?

Chameleonmaster

Avid Member
When i first joined this forum in April, i was all into panther chameleons i thought they were really cool and wanted to own one because of its bright and beautiful colors. So i started doing research on them, and everyday i would check the classified area looking at all the PANTHERS. About a month later i had gotten all the info, cage, and lights i needed. i had bookmarked all sorts of different websites that sold panthers.
a few weeks later i started seeing old threads from back in 2008 and 2009 about all these species i had never heard of. i looked at mellers and types of kinyongia, at the time i only new about panthers because every thread was panther this, panther that.
So when i got my first chameleon i didn't get a panther i got a Furcifer verrucosus at a pet shop because they're underrated (like a lot of species) and panthers were overrated because of there colors and price tag imo. i have recently added K.boehmei and T.ellioti. I think there are different species that everyone needs to step back and look at besides panthers!

But my question is, has this "community" always been about panther or was there a time when other species were kept and bred like panthers are today?

Hi, this community is about chameleons in general. Panthers and veileds are hands down the most popular. With that you will see more threads and post's about these two more than any other. They arent the most sought after because they are ugly or not cool looking ;)

Rarer species are truly for the enthusiast. Most are wild caught and need expert type care to thrive. Not all breed readily in captivity and even with successful breeding. Some of these rarer species sale/slowly. Making it hard for the breeder to keep producing animals.

Last edited:
I understand that panthers and veileds are the most popular but the point I'm trying to make is that there are more than just them.

A lot of members on the forums keep other species. You will be suprised when you look around.

I know there are but not a lot I know of the top of my head about 8 members that have other species but the rest panthers and veileds

Remember everyone doesnt have the same desires :) Look at the poll of what people have voted as there favorite chameleon.

I personally like anything trioceros. Not very many are available because of many reasons but they arent sought after as much as the typical veiled or panther.

Chameleon Genra section could help one find a little more on some different types.

I just think people see panthers and are sold on them and don't take time to look at the others that aren't so colorful. i also noticed that not a lot of trioceros or kinyongia have been exported due to Tanzania banning them.

I know there are but not a lot I know of the top of my head about 8 members that have other species but the rest panthers and veileds

Oh how little you know.......ALOT of us keep other species.....look at the signature tags on the bottom of member's posts.......most of us put what we have down there to let others know.

If you havent already, joining the KCK(Kinyongia Chameleon Keepers) is a great way to get in touch with others that love Kinyongia. Hit Seeco(Louis) up for more info on this group.

I prefer the montanes over the "norm". Much more rewarding...IMO......and they have so much character for their smaller size. They take a bit more attention to detail on the care, but its well worth knowing that you are able to keep the less kept healthy and thriving.

Depends what's available also... Here in canada it's hard to find chameleoons, veileds are mainly available, but hi-color morph veileds are harder to find, panthers are harder to find on the westcoast also. Other than that I rarely see any other types, I've seen a couple pygmy's and gracefuls. I've only seen 1 jacksons for sale here and it was way overpriced

Yes, many people here keep many different species! The people with panthers tend to be more vocal about them, and they are a popular cham for mainstream so they are a bit overrepresented. But there are many other species represented on the forums as well! Just keep looking, you'll find them. ;)

For example, I just made a thread about my panther because the pics are cool! Lol. ;) But also added to my pygmy cham thread too. And I have a T. montium on its way to me once the weather gets warmer for shipping.

People usually start off with panthers and veileds because they are colorful, large, readily available cb, in local pet stores, and are good starter chameleons. When you do your research on chameleons, it can be very intimidating to think about how fragile/difficult they seem to be compared to some other reptiles. I mean, if a new keeper if already a bit confused or intimidated by all of the care, work, and money that goes into chameleons, why would they get a more difficult species to care for when they are just starting?

Anyways, a lot of keepers have/have had all sorts of different species. A lot of people have both panthers/veileds AND less commonly kept species. It can be very difficult to breed less commonly kept species and make enough money from it to keep it going because they often sell for less and/or are more difficult to breed. So it makes sense to also breed a species like panthers that are fairly easy to sell and sell for a good amount of money as well.

I didn't mean for a first chameleon pick a rarer species I mean for the people that have some more experience to move up to a different maybe harder species to work with.

Everyone here will tell you I am a tad different. I sold a panther about a year ago, and in Feb of last year I lost my old panther, right after he turned 8 years old. I have no plans to ever own another panther or a veiled. Both are good chameleons. I think veileds get a bad rap as being mean, I didn't find that to be true most of them.

I now keep Trioceros quadricornis quadricornis, know as quads. I also have one B. transvaalense, had a pair and lost the female. I plan on raising quads as that is what I enjoy. There are a very few other chams I will choose to own again.

A lot of us start with panthers and veileds, some people love them and stay with one or both forever. A lot of us branch out for some reason. Do I think panthers are beautiful? Yes, some are so beautiful it is unbelievable. But I want a different experience from what you have with panthers or veileds. I had an elliotti and love it dearly. I loved my mellers, deremensis, jacksons & and the list goes on. I always say decide what you want and learn what you need to know to keep that cham successfully. And know you will lose a few of those just like people will lose a panther or veiled.

It's ok to start off with a veilded or panther but I would like more people to get into different types.

Lots of us do but often only talk to other like keepers as most people are just not all that excited about our chams because the don't know or have experience with the less common chams. Sorry but that is life in the cham world.

I have been keeping chams since 2008 and have had 3 Veileds (2 females and a male) and I now have my gorgeous Jackson Xantholophu and a young Carpet cham. I do like Panthers but unless I could find the elusive pure blue on blue Ambanja I don't feel the need to buy just any Panther. Jacksons are where it's at for me - I wanted mine since I joined the forums and I finally got my boy in October 2011. There is just something extra special about him!:D

Back
Top Bottom