has anyone every feed your jackson this ? and is it ok?

sarroca808

Attachments

• golden_apple_snail.jpg
    golden_apple_snail.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 72
Imagine what the shell is going to do as it moves through his intestines. Looks like an impaction waiting to happen.

true dat thats what i was wondering about.. impaction is horrible i had two fat tailed lizards that had impaction when i first got them :( they loved the warm water bathes tho lol

If you buy special cultures snails you can feed them to him. A lot if montane species like snail treats, just make sure they are smaller than the space between his eyes.

I would take the shell off and make sure they're small enough.

the shell has all the good stuff! Snails are fine just make sure they are not large or fully grown adults because then he shells may be a problem, most snails have brittle shells though and thats where most of the the nutrients come from.

Some slugs are good as well, but make sure you breed them yourself.

Montanes relish snails and slugs.

Agreed, breeding you own would be best, but has anyone here done it? What's their growth rate like? Is it worth it? As said, montanes just relish slugs and snails but I always select only the smallest garden snails for their thin, softer shells.

Kenya has done it before and always had a ready supply for her chams, I have done it before as well but due to lack of interest I no longer breed them. My panther loved them but no one else did, but I only had 2 chams at the time, so I may go at it again, it depends on the species but my snails matured in months, not sure of the exact time b/c it was a while back, but you only need an to start producing (theyre hermaphrodites) and since they live for a while you can just feed off all the offspring and pamper the breeder so she gives you lots of babies.

If you have patience it is worth it since they are very low maintenance.

Cool, thanks! I'm back up to a small number of montanes so I may just consider doing that. Didn't someone have a how to thread about snails? Was it her?

Cool, thanks! I'm back up to a small number of montanes so I may just consider doing that. Didn't someone have a how to thread about snails? Was it her?

possibly, but I don't recall it. Basically you need an enclosure with hydroton, charcoal, and organic soil, just like for pygs, but nothing else, mist them 2 to 3 times a day to keep a super high humidity, and give them lots of food, they eat anything type of fruit or veggie. They also eat pastas and oatmeal. if you put in paper towels theyll eat that too! so be careful:p

Lol. Thanks, again. You just forgot temps? Lol.

room temp is good, probably a little bit warmer, 75-80 is what I used to keep mine at. I guess if you wanted to you could use an undertank heater on half of the tank to make it reproduce faster, but its not really necessary

Excellent, that's what I was wondering, if more heat would get them reproducing quicker. Thanks again, Danny!

Excellent, that's what I was wondering, if more heat would get them reproducing quicker. Thanks again, Danny!

Your welcome

I would say 85 max though, I have not kept them over that temp so I dont know how they would react to anything higher than that. I used to keep them near my chams cages so they got some light, they were normally only active at night though, so you could experiment and see if they produce faster when its constantly dark for them.

Back
Top Bottom