Has any chameleon died from eating too many superworms?

jacksonchamnew

Avid Member
OK so they have too much fat. Many of us are obese and drink too much beer. My cham keeps going on strikes and wants superworms. Crickets in the feeder. Will see how my roach colony is doing and put these in there. That Bill Strand feeding video has his Jackson's eating superworms and crickets.

You try to order discoid roaches and seller is out. You find lunch boxes of crickets at pet store and many are dead on bottom and some with strange sheds hanging on to them. You feed superworms because they are always good and last a long time. You buy 50 worms and your cham eats 50. You buy 50 crickets and the cham may eat 30 before they die.

Id say 99% of chams are raised on almost 100% crickets for the first 6-9 months of their lives.

Im a "super fan" but even i dont feed close to 50% diet of supers. Supers can make up id say 25% of the diet calories.

They are not going to bore a hole through the cham
they are not going to clog up the intestines
they are not "candy"

But they are a bit fatty
But they are horrible at gut loading (empty to full the weight only changes 10%, dubia can be something amazing like 1/3-1/2 their weight being gut load, crickets can be like 1/4-1/3 gut load)
But they can turn your cham into a super junky, and have hunger strikes

Find a good supplier. If you are going by mail, ordering double what you need only cost 25% more.

Yes but it was from eating too many at once and they obstructed. Long term it is impossible to pinpoint which nutritional disorder they might develop on a single feeder diet. They can be mixed in but I would not use only super worms and at that use them as less than 10% like your beer consumption I hope.:)

Agreed with the others. being high in fat itself isn't necessarily bad, the problem is fat is tasty and has more calories per gram. So it can easily be overdone for a sedentary reptile. Also, I think obesity is a little harder on reptile's organs than ours?

Has anybody died from obesity? That's kind of what you're asking...
As others said, being high in fat is not necessarily bad, just like eating McDonalds every once in a while is not necessarily bad. However, eating McDonalds every day.... Just see what happened in the documentary "supersize me" where a guy tried to eat mc donalds every single day and quit a month through because he couldn't even make it up the stairs without being out of breath.

In other words, superworms, like McDonalds, can be fed in moderation, but never everyday

As others said, being high in fat is not necessarily bad, just like eating McDonalds every once in a while is not necessarily bad. However, eating McDonalds every day.... Just see what happened in the documentary "supersize me" where a guy tried to eat mc donalds every single day and quit a month through because he couldn't even make it up the stairs without being out of breath.

In other words, superworms, like McDonalds, can be fed in moderation, but never everyday

Thought that documentary turned out to be a total sham? It's all about calories in and calories out. Chad Johnson was known for eating McDonald's everyday before practice. Anyway, lol I'm getting off track though... Point is, animals and humans like fat because it is energy rich and in the wild it is hard to come by. A fatty meal can mean a better chance of survival. So our brains, along with many other animal's, are wired to choose the fatty foods and have a hard time turning them down.

I think the legitimacy of that film was found to be debatable at best, but the heart of it is still valid- large amounts of unhealthy food is unhealthy.

Though, death from obesity is more like death by side effects of obesity...usually some form of organ failure from straining to process excessive amounts of junk. In animals it may not be as obvious that diet led to the animal's death, since their lives are usually relatively short and it's easy to think "Oh, I guess they were just old." Lots of pets are overfed and their owners don't think much of it because they don't know what the animal *should* look like, or they just think it must be happier that way.

I put 4 crickets and 2 superworms dusted with revitalize with D3 in the feeder and the cham eats the superworms only. Dang.

Thought that documentary turned out to be a total sham? It's all about calories in and calories out. Chad Johnson was known for eating McDonald's everyday before practice. Anyway, lol I'm getting off track though... Point is, animals and humans like fat because it is energy rich and in the wild it is hard to come by. A fatty meal can mean a better chance of survival. So our brains, along with many other animal's, are wired to choose the fatty foods and have a hard time turning them down.

SUpersizeme has be dubunked over and over, and the guy still refuses to release his food log.

But if you do the math and use the amount of times he super sized, he would have lost weight. If he supersized every meal, he would have gained 5 pounds.

You can check it yourself, 3 meals a day. If every meal was supersized, that was only 3500 cals a day tops. The guys "idle" calories were at least 2500, even an under 6ft desk jockey idles at 2000 pushing pencils. So even if he over ate by 1000 cals a day, thats only a max of 2 pounds per week.

Infact another guy did a reverse documentary, ate the worst things possible, and lost weight too.

You can not create something from nothing.

Back
Top Bottom