Hard to breed crickets??

stephv

Well the sucky thing about my little town is that there is only 1 petstore here:rolleyes: The next store is about 20 minutes away:eek: And our petsrore is out of crickets till Tuesday:eek: So hes eating mealworms right now...the other day I bought crickets for a few days & they all were dead by that night:confused: Is it easier to just breed my own maybe? Or any suggestions on how to keep them alive for a few days? Ill take any suggestions:D

I buy mine from lazyhbait.com I get 1000 shipped for $20 dollars I never have die offs and they usually last me about 3 weeks.

Steph, have you tried other feeders? Crickets can be a bit delicate, and are tough to breed. It might be worth ordering some silkworms, hornworms, dubia roaches etc, that way you get to see how they are to care for, your chameleon gets to try some new things (variety is always good for them!) and you can see which ones you feel like breeding and order the others? I went from ordering crickets similar to Neuce, but struggled to keep them alive and stink-free, so I'm just starting up a dubia colony and fattening up silkworms. Hornworms seem tricky to breed, so I'm happy just ordering a few feeder worms and other bugs for variety.

How many crickets did you have die in that one night? How are you keeping them?

Crickets need to have a heat source. Do you have a heat lamp on them? Breeding is super easy. I've been breeding for 4 months now and have so many that I'm selling them.

I wish my pet store was only 20 minutes away! I have to drive an hour for mine so I just order 1000 from one of the sponsor and keep them. (Mulberry Farms, LLLReptile, etc.) I've never had many die off. I keep them in a tupperdrawer (you can keep them in a fish tank so they don't climb) with egg crate and carrots for moisture. You can use a gutloader (such as cricket crack) to make sure they have the proper nutrients for your chams. DO NOT keep them in the plastic bag they give you at the pet store.

i have decided to give up on cricket breeding entirely. there is no other insect breeder that i have worked with that are so stinky/messy/high death rates/etc. don't get me wrong, i can get pinheads, but the amount of work and clean-up to do so just seems ridiculous compared to the other feeders that i have. and no matter how hard i try to keep them out, i keep getting some sort of small flys that get in their cages and it's just soooooo lovely to have thousands of maggots all over the bottom, waterer, dead crix. although, the maggots would probably make yet another great food source..........

i dunno. for now i'm giving up and working with other feeders, and it's not like i can't go back to crix at another point. but i would like to share this link; it's the method that i used for my setup and i think he does a fantastic job at describing a great breeding method:

http://www.frogforum.net/care-articles/3254-culturing-crickets-care-breeding-common-house-cricket.html

BIG P.S.—his technique does NOT work for Gryllus assimilis!! just Acheta.

Hi,
I have been trying to breed crickets for a while now and i can never get the eggs to hatch.....:( I have read so post so iam going to try this ONE more time...LOL

OK so far it is working have had them for 4days now and still ALIVE....WHOOHOO
this morning i checked on them and there is little holes in the moist dirt is that ok?????
Marie

Back
Top Bottom