Happier in the Wild?

Now that is one heck of a free range.

77893d1367244043-happier-wild-mizieb.jpg

Please don't get your feelings hurt by an angry Chameleon.

A majority of my Veiled chams have been pretty mean. but i think its just a facade. once removed from the cage they would perk up and climb around a lot.

in the wild they are secretive and defensive. You're just expirienceing a little bit of the natural instinct :)

Please do not let him go in the wild- just look at Hawaii, with the Jacksons, I love my Jackson, but in Hawaii- they are killing off the native snails - but the first person to let one lose I don't think thought of what 20 yrs later would bring- PLEASE do not let him lose- it makes us ALL look bad , and this is why it is getting harder and harder to keep these type of pets- because ppl let them lose- then they take over :(

he will have no one to mate with...if he does they will not reproduce

how do know someone say last year, or next week wont feel the same about a female - I understand how you feel- you want only the best for your cham, and that is great :) its good you care about his feelings, but letting him lose is not the thing to do ;)

you could try a bigger cage with lots of foliage to hide..screen cage preferred for air movment. would help him to feel secure and hidden and chams are best looked at..you want a cool pet to take out and hang around with you on walks get a iguana or a bearded dragon...savannah monitors are cool if you can settle them down. the look cool on a leach walking down the street with you.

I house him in a screen cage with all the right temps, all the right supplements, dripper, misting and last but not least...foliage that's why I never see him. I know they are visual animals, I take out my dog for walks and also get licked by it!!... my concern here is not my happiness nor the "coolness" of my pet > it's the happiness of my Cham . A normal concern a caring pet owner should have

I house him in a screen cage with all the right temps, all the right supplements, dripper, misting and last but not least...foliage that's why I never see him. I know they are visual animals, I take out my dog for walks and also get licked by it!!... my concern here is not my happiness nor the "coolness" of my pet > it's the happiness of my Cham . A normal concern a caring pet owner should have

Maybe this will help your thinking about his "happiness". Consider that releasing him (even if it was considered remotely responsible which it isn't) would also cause him a huge amount of disorientation, stress and fear.

He has never been exposed to more extreme swings in weather, a more intense daily search for prey, recognizing and avoiding different threats and predators (other than you), probably isn't as fit and strong due to confinement, and has not developed the little routines and habits necessary to survive in YOUR region which is not his native habitat. Sure he still has most of his inherited instinctive behaviors, but he's the product of generations of captive breeding so is not as finely tuned and prepared for a rougher life in the wild. The chances that he survive very long are low. Some other person might find him, not recognize what he is, and either kill, torture, or injure him because he's unusual. You wouldn't want that I'm sure.

IMHO, give this guy as much private secluded space as you can while still protecting him from the true wild. He'll be more content and at peace overall.

Why not build a free range outside where he will have more room to move about if your climate is hospitable?

Back
Top Bottom