Hanging out outside his enclosure

mj ellerby

This might not be the right place to post this, but I wasn't sure where else I should. I do not free range my veiled but have him in a 24x24x48 adult size enclosure. Although, I've done my best to provide a nice setup, I notice he has really taken to coming out of his enclosure and roaming a large fake ficus I have for him. Also he likes to explore the room in general, even tho, there isn't much for him to climb. He's just started this behavior and I think it's because he was an adoptee just 3 months ago, so it's taken him a long time to get used to me and his surroundings. Anyway, now that he is cruising around so much, I'm wondering how often and for how long I could or should allow him to be out of his enclosure? Today, when I went to put him back in, he seemed kind of reluctant to go and it took a few minutes to coax him onto a branch. I'm just looking for a healthy balance of stimulation and his enclosure. I'll include a pic of his enclosure if anyone thinks something might be lacking there.
IMG_0111.JPG

Personally I think Chams are most natural and stress free on free ranges. I am fairly new to owning Chams, but I have done both and noticed a HUGE change for the better since my chams gone to the free range permanently. That said most people aren't able to do this for one reason or another. For your enclosure add more plants, that might make him feel more secure. Give it a more natural feel, get rid of the fake plants and add living imo.

So the only fake plants are the two vines, one in upper left and other on the right side. I have two pothos, a prayer plant and a zebra plant. I didn't want to clutter the bottom of his cage with plants, but I could add at least two more I have. I was hoping the live plants in there would just eventually fill in the upper and side spaces.

The downside to his roaming the room and not being in his cage is that he won't get UVB unless you have a light above his fake ficus. His out of cage time needs to not take away from his basking time. The roaming is good exercise.

So if I'm using his outside roaming as a way for him to get exercise, say 15-20 min a day or something like that, is it still necessary to provide the uvb, heat, misting? Also, what is the best way to get him outdoors safely? We have birds of prey where I live so I'm afraid to take him out unprotected.

No, short term like that is fine but if he's going to be out for hours then add another lamp.
I bought a smaller cheap cage for outdoors. Some people reinforce theirs with chicken wire etc. to protect them.

No, short term like that is fine but if he's going to be out for hours then add another lamp.
I bought a smaller cheap cage for outdoors. Some people reinforce theirs with chicken wire etc. to protect them.
Thanks for the info to both those questions. I did keep his smaller cage when I changed up so I will use it for taking him outside.

when you free range can you leave them there unattended? my little one loves the tree in my bedroom but I don't know if I can leave him there when I'm not home

Back
Top Bottom