Hanging on the door a lot?

Lindasjackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
Eustis has been hanging on the door of his cage recently and he’ll hang there for hours showing his stress colors until I open the door and get him down and put him on his branch and then he immediately turns a pretty green. Whats up with that?

I would double-check all your care parameters again. I'm not saying that something is wrong with your parameters, but it's always good to double-check. I know I find myself in a transitionary period between summer and winter where my room humidity increases exponentially after I switch from AC to Heater. But once it starts to get colder and colder outdoors, the indoor humidity goes down. But in this transitionary period, I usually have to prop the door open to let the humidity out. But this only applies to where I live. Has anything in your husbandry changed recently?

I would double-check all your care parameters again. I'm not saying that something is wrong with your parameters, but it's always good to double-check. I know I find myself in a transitionary period between summer and winter where my room humidity increases exponentially after I switch from AC to Heater. But once it starts to get colder and colder outdoors, the indoor humidity goes down. But in this transitionary period, I usually have to prop the door open to let the humidity out. But this only applies to where I live. Has anything in your husbandry changed recently?
The humidity is a little high during the day but this isn’t really a change. We had a very humid summer and we’ve had a lot of rain this fall. I just pull the shower curtain back from one side of his cage and run an oscillating fan. I honestly don’t know other than it is cooler in the house now. I keep the heat setting on 68 during the day and 65 at night to give him a good drop in temp. His temps in his cage are around 70-75 ambient air and 80-82 at his basking spot. Humidity is 65-70%. He is finally eating better and I got his shooting gallery in today. I’m excited to try that. His wandering hasn’t stopped but I haven’t found anymore sperm sacks hanging from the branches. I’ve found him hanging from the ceiling as well and that’s scary because he was right under the heat lamp. He didn’t get burned because I have the heat lamp angled but still I don’t like him to do that!

He doesn’t like being handled though so why would he want me to take him Out? I’ve only put him On another tree once outside if his cage and he was so scared he didn’t move the whole time he was on it. I was rearranging his cage. It was a mass cane I put him on and it’s not even good for climbing!

He doesn’t like being handled though so why would he want me to take him Out?
Lesser of two (we)evils, end justifies the means. I got gaped at, hissed at, and bitten, until he figured out I was the means to get what he wanted—OUT. Getting to the plants twice was all it took.

Ol' Furface hates getting baths & nails clipped, but he'll only go so far in his protestations, because he knows there's a big ol' cookie (biscuit) waiting for him on the other side.

I’ve only put him On another tree once outside if his cage and he was so scared he didn’t move the whole time he was on it. I was rearranging his cage. It was a mass cane I put him on and it’s not even good for climbing!
Yup. Sometimes, like us, animals have to mull (especially new) things over a bit before deciding what they think about it. Very often, if/when they realize they're not going to be hurt, they become more tolerant.

YMMV.

On the handling, I tend to agree with @Klyde O'Scope . Between 7 chams I don't always have time to be slow and gentle. I tend to just., well grab and pick them up. They do not like this at first, as you may expect, but they have all gotten use to it and will no more get off my hand and turn to get their food dish before I set it down. I think they can get "stressed if they really want to go somewhere. The handling by you is probably as bad as parking at a concert. It is a pain and we don't like it but not enough to stop us.

Back
Top Bottom