Handling?

YOSHI

I'm used to handling my Yemen once a week (if that) as he's not the friendliest, and i respect the fact that he will never bond with me but my Panther on the other hand is far the opposite, i carn't get my hands in the enclosure to muck out and feed without him making it his mission to climb onto me, almost as if he's happy to see me which i very much doubt.
Is this common with Panthers or have i struck lucky?
My main question is, is it possible to over do the handling with a Panther seeing as he ventures out himself via my hands??? Only i get carried away and keep him out for abit!!!

I have a panther the same way, I keep him out a while and then put him back. If it was too much handling, I doubt he'd be so eager to come out next time. I'd say if he doesn't climb on your hand, leave him alone and don't force him, but if he does than enjoy it

My panther is the same way. Very nice and friendly. As far as him coming out to you, I think he is just glad to get out of the cage! That is how I feel mine is when he runs right to me. I am not sure it is a "I am so happy to see you thing" but who knows!!
As far as over handling, you mean to the point where it is harmful to their health? If so, I don't believe in that, as there are many members on here who handle their chamleons on a daily basis and they live long lives. i don't believe handling shortens the life span. Just my opinion....

I don't have a definitive answer- I've never held any of mine more than necessary. But I do have a story about a veiled I sold once to a local guy.

This guy decided to ignore the "only handle as much as necessary" rule of mine. In fact, he worked long hours, but when he was not working, he told me he always had this lizard on his person. Usually on his hat. He would even go to the store with this lizard on his hat. Which is how I bumped into him from time to time over the next few years. I don't know how long that veiled lived, but the last I saw him, he was over 4 years old and looked very healthy. The guy could hold him and pet him like any other tame lizard and the veiled would not blow up or look distressed in coloration or give any other indication of stress.

I don't tell that story to necessarily encourage everyone do that with their chameleon, just to illustrate what might be possible in exceptional situations.

From time to time I wonder if the chameleon was exceptional, or if more chameleons than I think could be so tame...

i wish i could handle my veil without him going crazy, he was getting his cage cleaned out and had to be moved. and he bit my boyfriend not the nices but we write it off as he is a veiled

It sort of feels like if they are desperate to get out of their cages, they aren't really happy there...but that could be me projecting. Both of mine shy away from me and climb further into their cages when I open the door. I take that to mean they hate me and like their cages, or at least, they prefer their cages to me.

I'm used to handling my Yemen once a week (if that) as he's not the friendliest, and i respect the fact that he will never bond with me but my Panther on the other hand is far the opposite, i carn't get my hands in the enclosure to muck out and feed without him making it his mission to climb onto me, almost as if he's happy to see me which i very much doubt.
Is this common with Panthers or have i struck lucky?
My main question is, is it possible to over do the handling with a Panther seeing as he ventures out himself via my hands??? Only i get carried away and keep him out for abit!!!

ive had veileds the same but its usually time that does the trick..my chams show no ill affects from wanting to "hang out" with me..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb8-JpvzGiM

It sort of feels like if they are desperate to get out of their cages, they aren't really happy there...but that could be me projecting. Both of mine shy away from me and climb further into their cages when I open the door. I take that to mean they hate me and like their cages, or at least, they prefer their cages to me.

This is the one answer i feared as it has run by me that he's unhappy in his enclosure and wants out all the time, but after watching sdheli420 video, there not even enclosed and still feel free to climb straight on as if we are some sort of walking tree to them haha feeling great now i no its not such an issue for him to venture out on his own :p

This is the one answer i feared as it has run by me that he's unhappy in his enclosure and wants out all the time, but after watching sdheli420 video, there not even enclosed and still feel free to climb straight on as if we are some sort of walking tree to them haha feeling great now i no its not such an issue for him to venture out on his own :p

ive had some that where caged that were still just as friendly..i know it does depend on the animal itself, but they do tend to "buddy-up" with you faster with more time out of a cage..maybe give them some more outdoor sun time with you always close by offering water or a treat ever so often..

Back
Top Bottom