Handling

Adam Picard

Ok so my Chameleon is finally to a size that I feel is good to start getting him use to being handled. (3.5 Inches [head to tail while coiled])

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to go about getting him use to being held? So far I have just tryed to get him to walk on my fingers and lightly petting him on the sides but he keeps turning dark and letting out a yelp.

Any help would be great.

Adam

Ok so my Chameleon is finally to a size that I feel is good to start getting him use to being handled. (3.5 Inches [head to tail while coiled])

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to go about getting him use to being held? So far I have just tryed to get him to walk on my fingers and lightly petting him on the sides but he keeps turning dark and letting out a yelp.

Any help would be great.

Adam
try holding a waxworm in your hand and let him walk onto your hand but never pick them up......ive never heard mine yelp

I wouldn't try petting him unless he is totally comfortable with you handling him which he is not yet! I can pretty much do anything to my chameleon but I don't pet him too often as I notice he will puff up a little under his chin when I do, so I avoid situations I know he does not like.Overall I have a chameleon with a great disposition but you want to try and handle him in a way he is comfortable with. Try coaxing him out with a branch or as the other member said, try hand feeding him so he can associate your hand with good things. You might try opening up the door and letting him climb out on the top of the cage or the top of the cage door and see if he is more approachable that way. Don't approach him over his back or from behind but from the the front where he can see your hand. Try putting a large plant outside the cage door and see if he will climb onto that and then try putting your hand underneath him to climb onto.

I wouldn't try petting him unless he is totally comfortable with you handling him which he is not yet! I can pretty much do anything to my chameleon but I don't pet him too often as I notice he will puff up a little under his chin when I do, so I avoid situations I know he does not like.Overall I have a chameleon with a great disposition but you want to try and handle him in a way he is comfortable with. Try coaxing him out with a branch or as the other member said, try hand feeding him so he can associate your hand with good things. You might try opening up the door and letting him climb out on the top of the cage or the top of the cage door and see if he is more approachable that way. Don't approach him over his back or from behind but from the the front where he can see your hand. Try putting a large plant outside the cage door and see if he will climb onto that and then try putting your hand underneath him to climb onto.

thanks for the info ;)

What type of chameleon do you have? There are most likely over 100 threads on handling chameleons and they all come down to the individual temperment of the one you have.

If you have a veiled, your chances of getting it to where it likes to be held are lower than other species.

All in all you can keep trying using food for bait to get them comfortable; however be prepared for the reality that all chameleons are considered show pets, not play pets.

Back
Top Bottom