handling question?

So I got my chameleon 3 weeks ago and I've been trying to get him to climb on me so he can get used to me. He used to just run away, but now he just sits there and when I get closer he moves back a bit, because I'm building a new enclosure for him 24x24x48 and I want to be able to get him out of his cage and into the new one without stressing him

It can take a long time to build trust. It'll come eventually if you have patients and go at your chameleon's pace. Still, sometimes we must handle them for their own health or benefit. Don't worry too much about the enclosure move. Once he's in a bigger enclosure he'll be more inclined to trust you as well - he'll feel more secure in his territory.

Here are some resources for building trust over time:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/

So I got my chameleon 3 weeks ago and I've been trying to get him to climb on me so he can get used to me. He used to just run away, but now he just sits there and when I get closer he moves back a bit, because I'm building a new enclosure for him 24x24x48 and I want to be able to get him out of his cage and into the new one without stressing him
It takes some time & saintly patience. Lots of articles, vids, blogs, etc.

My male panther is at the point where he charges up my arm whenever it's close enough.
HOWEVER, there are times when I have to... extricate him, like when he's playing 'gargoyle' and I have to retrieve him.
1635476114367.png
For this, I use a 4' long bamboo stake, branch, or dowel. I gently ease the stake under him and lift SLOWLY until he has no choice but to grab the stake and go for a little ride back into his enclosure. 😁

I can do the same in reverse to get him out of the enclosure if necessary. ;)

Back
Top Bottom