Handling opinions

stygian73

Hi all. I found this forum after I got my first veiled chameleon and a lot of the information was very helpful. I just lost my little guy (only 9 mos) from a systemic infection due to his weakened immune system. :(
He developed early MBD which was promptly treated (thanks to this forum and others I saw the symptoms and acted quickly). Before I even consider owning another one (I loved and miss him terribly) I'm wondering if veiled should be handled. I came across an article on another reptile forum that the guy stated that the chameleon will get used to it but not necessarily welcome it. Previously with Tiki I would take him out and put him in his outdoor pen in the summer, sometimes take him for walks on a beautiful sunny summer day (this is Seattle where we seize every moment of sunshine) or I'd have him hang with me outside on our porch. Since I had him when he was a baby handling was something I did from the start. I had an excellent vet that I found towards the end of his short life which again hindsight 20/20 there were so many things I would've done differently. I'm upset about losing him so if I can get others opinions on the handling issue and whether or not it should/shouldn't, etc., that will help me determine if I ever should own another one.

You shouldn't handle him that much because it stresses them out I handle my cham a lot because he just likes to be handled, but it takes time for him to see you as a nice person and not somebody trying to eat him. (might've been to harsh....)

chameleons are not like birds that you can hang on your shoulder and takr them for walks, they do take damage of the stress of being handle in the way you would do with a cat, bird or dog. As you saw it can end up killing it.

Ya! I have 16 and I'm not a firm believer in handling them! There first response is to flee the threat causing unwarranted stress! The only time I take mine out of there cage is when I weigh them & then I get them to crawl on a wooden dowel & out of the cage to weigh & on the dowel and back into the cage = less stress on both of us!

Outdoor sun is awesome for chams, the benefit of the UV definitely outweighs any stress from taking him outside. That said, most chameleons are not comfortable going on walks. They are arboreal, and trees don't move... I think getting your chameleon willing to come onto your hand to take to the vet, an outdoor enclosure, or free range is great, but realize that they are not for the most part an interactive pet.

my panther loves to come out. he would stay out all day if i let him and theres no signs that bit stresses him out he loves it

Back
Top Bottom