Handling my Panther

julianfremaint

My panther is 5 months old, and I have had him for about 2 months. When can I start handling him? I have offered him my hand few times and he hasn't seemed interested. I understand how chameleons are with handling but I am wondering how I should pick him up the first time. Should I wait until he climbs into my hand on his own? Or slowly try to pick him up?

my female always wants out of her cage, so she will climb on me whenever she gets the chance, my male isn't like that yet though. you can use the old lure trick, lure him onto your hand with food. sometimes i put my hand in front of mine and touch his tail to get him to climb on. a few times he's gone rogue and climbed around upside-down on the screen top, so i just gently grab him off so he doesn't burn himself on the light, you should avoid it though. have fun with your little guy,

My little guy didn't really bother with me I put my hand in but he just looks he dosent hide or run so I have to nudge him a bit and he climbs on no big deal and enjoys free roaming my apartment (supervised of course ) he's almost 5 months and never turns black or puffs up when I go to get him really good I guess

handling

My panther is 5 months old, and I have had him for about 2 months. When can I start handling him? I have offered him my hand few times and he hasn't seemed interested. I understand how chameleons are with handling but I am wondering how I should pick him up the first time. Should I wait until he climbs into my hand on his own? Or slowly try to pick him up?

Most experienced handlers would suggest to handle them as early as possible and to coax them onto your hand via food or to gently tap their tail or back legs as you lay your hand out in front for them so they can climb on.DO NOT GRAB THEM BY THE BACKSIDE unless absolutely necessary, as you can imagine they see this as a threat or aggressive behavior and you could also hurt your chameleon. Also I recommend hand feeding something different than you normally feed them while handling so they become comfortable with you and associate you with treats rather than threats. I feed mine (Penelope) mealworms only while handling so she thinks they are a treat and gets very eager to play with me when she knows I have them.
Happy handling
Melanie

Back
Top Bottom