Handling Chameleons

Is anyone an "expert"?
I believe the book of information we don't know is still thicker than the one of information we do know.
I do think there is an amazing pool of experience here and we should gleen what we can from those on the frontlines, but we are all students of chameleon keeping and all of us are still learning (especially me).

-Brad

Thanks for the help guys. I will take louie out once/twice a week for about 15 minutes.
He was held everyday by his breeder(the petshop owner) and really doesnt seem to mind being held at all. No hissing, no opening his mouth, he poses for the camera and loves just sitting on your shoulder. He doesnt try to escape at all and stays a bright green. If he is stressed it is very little and not noticeble. Even the shop owner said he has raised many types of chameleons and has never had one this socialable. Thats why we call him social Louie. So I will continue to hold him just not as often as I once thought.

So thanks again for the all the help so far on this site. Im sure I will need much more as I plan on diving deeper into this hobby. Im very facinated by these creatures.

i am almost 4 years late on this thread.

overall, handling a chameleon is not too bad for it - unless you don't know how to do it. when mishandled, chameleons WILL become stressed; shortening their life span. when done right, nothing bad will happen. it seems that nobody handles chameleons the way i do, at least from my research i have not found my technique.
Take a small glass dish, and put your chameleon's food of choice inside. wait until you chameleon sees it and works it's way over. hold the dish out of their reach, as if teasing them, and then slowly move your hand in front of your chameleon. if done correctly, you chameleon will stress-free stroll on to your hand, and work it's way over to the dish. simple as that.

Back
Top Bottom