Handling Chameleon

Char333p

Avid Member
So, ive had my chammy since last june. I held him maybe 3 times... he doesnt get aggressive but does puff up but then realizes im the one who feeds him and doesnt mind my presence.
Anyways.

I want to, this summer, bring him out into the sunlight so he can get healthier d3. Overall nothings better then sunlight. But will he eventually get used to or even look foward to being handled knowing hell go outside. Or will he always be cautious?

Also any advice how to coax him onto my hand easier?

Attachments

• 20190220_164914.jpg
    20190220_164914.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 71
treats and positive reinforcement is the way to go with chams, just be careful chams are trust built animals so they rely on a steady schedule and a friendly hand. my cham is a rescue and so he's never been able to fully trust hands. I would say the best way to get out your cham is to put a treat on your arm like a hornworm and let him crawl to it.

treats and positive reinforcement is the way to go with chams, just be careful chams are trust built animals so they rely on a steady schedule and a friendly hand. my cham is a rescue and so he's never been able to fully trust hands. I would say the best way to get out your cham is to put a treat on your arm like a hornworm and let him crawl to it.

My guys never cared for hornworm. He ate maybe 2. N rest died waiting for him to feed on em lol.. picky punk. Lol odds are hell stand an inch away from my hand and just aim for it. Haha but yeah maybe to associate my hand as a not threat, at the very least

So I keep waxworms around for treats. Beman will do just about anything for one so when I need him to move and he is being stubborn I pull out a waxworm. Hold it up around my elbow and put the opposite hand toward him. He will come onto my hand and all the way down my arm to go for it. You may have to start with the feeder hand closer but this is how I have gotten him to budge when I need him to. :)

I handle my boy almost everyday and he is fine with it. The only struggle is to get him out! He doesn’t take treats but he’s still little so there’s hope!

If its a 'struggle to get him out', he probably doesn't want to come out. Only handle if the cham WANTS to come out to you.

Once out, he has no choice in the matter and likely isn't 'fine with it' but stressed out.

Why not try a vine leading out of the enclosure onto a plant or some free range rather than handling?

i agree i use a small stick and keep it short and sweet. no sudden quick movements. and treats always help. patience is key. it will take time.

The thread I've needed, haha. I have heard of Bill's podcast...it's on my docket! But man my chameleon does not want anything to do with me despite me trying to follow the advice of many on this site. I will keep trying though!!

Positive reinforcement is key. Food, food, more food. Also, I would recommend you don't withdraw your hand if he shows aggression. That will only reinforce the idea that aggression results in the predator (you) retreating. Only retreat when he's calm and stops puffing up and getting all worked up. Worked for me.

I've been working on mine since I got him on 10/29/18. He has been out of the cage 2 or 3 times by me putting a silkworm or hornworm on my forearm which he had to crawl on me to reach. Once out he didn't seem comfortable so I put him away right away.

He doesn't seem threatened by me at all. I put my hand in his cage near him routinely (slowly, approach from front/underside of him so he can see) and also hand feed daily, he doesn't puff up or get scared. Lately I have been putting my hand under his body so I am cradling his body but keeping him in his cage. His tail is always secured to something so I don't bother trying to take him out. He's only ~7 months old now, I'm hoping once he matures more he will loosen up.

Don't get discouraged if he goes through phases! As they age, especially going through the sexual maturity phase(s), their behavior can differ, so keep it up @RyanBRZ

Back
Top Bottom