handling and food question

dirtygirl

Hi, this is my second post. I am the person who ordered pygmies from my pet shop, they ordered me a veiled instead. I named her Luna, I have had her 2 weeks now. They finely got the right size crickets in on this Wednesday. Luna had been eating wild caught bugs I would catch for her in the yard, her favorite is small house fly's though. It took her a bit to eat 1/4 inch crickets out of the dish I put in her cage, I belive she really enjoyed hunting the wild caught bugs.

I have a couple of questions about this 5 week old cam. I feed her 3 to 4 times a day, (wild bugs) Now that I have crickets, about how many gut loaded 1/4 inch crickets should I be offering her per day? And should I be dusting every cricket that she eats through out the day.

Luna is not shy, she will hunt and eat bugs with me fitteling around in her cage. I tried a few times to get her to take food from my hand, but she will not. She dose not run and hide. I have only picked her up 2 times now. The first time was the other day, and she acted like she wanted to bite and turned colors, hissed. I followed through and carefully scooted her on to my finger. Last night I did the same thing, and she did the same thing, only this time she bit me. Of course I didn't feel a thing. I have no idea how to handle her, maybe I should not be handling her at all? I am not going to attempt to hold her again until I know what I am doing. What is the right way to pick up a cam?

I have read tones of great info over the past 2 weeks on this forum since I have had her and learned so much useful information, thank you. So far I have made a few mistakes, and quickly fixed them. I can still hardly take my eyes off her, I come home from work 3 times during the day to check on her. I was so worried that she would get to hot, not eat, not drink, fall, you name it I worried about it. I am getting more relaxed and confident that she is set up right and she looks beautiful.

Thanks very much:)

I wouldn't handle, except when necessary (cleaning, etc.). And I wouldn't expect a 5 week old to hand-feed, don't sweat that. Give us a little more info. There's a questionnaire (that I can't seem to find now), that gives folks the needed info to answer you best; enclosure, lighting, supplements by brand, etc.

Hi, this is my second post. I am the person who ordered pygmies from my pet shop, they ordered me a veiled instead. I named her Luna, I have had her 2 weeks now. They finely got the right size crickets in on this Wednesday. Luna had been eating wild caught bugs I would catch for her in the yard, her favorite is small house fly's though. It took her a bit to eat 1/4 inch crickets out of the dish I put in her cage, I belive she really enjoyed hunting the wild caught bugs.

I have a couple of questions about this 5 week old cam. I feed her 3 to 4 times a day, (wild bugs) Now that I have crickets, about how many gut loaded 1/4 inch crickets should I be offering her per day? And should I be dusting every cricket that she eats through out the day.

Luna is not shy, she will hunt and eat bugs with me fitteling around in her cage. I tried a few times to get her to take food from my hand, but she will not. She dose not run and hide. I have only picked her up 2 times now. The first time was the other day, and she acted like she wanted to bite and turned colors, hissed. I followed through and carefully scooted her on to my finger. Last night I did the same thing, and she did the same thing, only this time she bit me. Of course I didn't feel a thing. I have no idea how to handle her, maybe I should not be handling her at all? I am not going to attempt to hold her again until I know what I am doing. What is the right way to pick up a cam?

I have read tones of great info over the past 2 weeks on this forum since I have had her and learned so much useful information, thank you. So far I have made a few mistakes, and quickly fixed them. I can still hardly take my eyes off her, I come home from work 3 times during the day to check on her. I was so worried that she would get to hot, not eat, not drink, fall, you name it I worried about it. I am getting more relaxed and confident that she is set up right and she looks beautiful.

Thanks very much:)

At her age you should be feeding her as many crickets as she will eat per day and dusting lightly with calcium

I am using Zoo Med repti calcium to dust her crickets. I do have the calcium with D3, but have not used it yet. I gut load her cricket with the green vitamin gut load and the blue water cubes with calcium. I feed the crickets dark green veggies, along with carrots and a little bit of fruit.

Her inclosure is a 2 foot tall by 12 inches deep half plexie glass half screen, I think it is a Zoo Med. She has a live ficus plant, big dripper, fake vines and a few fake leaves to hide in. I mist her down 3 to four times a day with warm water for about 3 minutes at a time. UVB 5.0 reptisun tube light. Basking light is 80 degrees.

I will not handle her unless I need to from now on. Thank you. I will also free feed her as well. I think I will continue to add fresh gut loaded crickets in her tub that hangs from the tree several times a day. I want to be sure she is getting freshly gut loaded crickets through out the day.

I also have a Zoo Med reptiBreeze XXL for when she gets bigger. I could not find the questionnaire to fill out. If I can find it, I would be happy to fill it out:)

Luna sure is a pleasure to have. She kept me hopping and worrying the first 10 days, I was not set up for a Veiled. Or knew anything about them. I am happy I have her now.

Back
Top Bottom