Handeling my jackson

Jackson14

I have got a Jackson cham and I've had him for about a month now and every time I try to hold him he runs and hides. I know chamois are not supposed to be held a lot as they are generally a looking pet, but he is very unsocial . Any ideas?

You're right about chams being more of a "looking" pet. If handling stresses him (and it does stress most), then leave him be. Unless it's necessary to handle him (like during cage cleaning or moving him back and forth from the shower or an outdoor cage), you really shouldn't be pushing it with handling. My Jackson's are much more shy than my panther or veiled. Chameleons by nature are unsocial.

one cool thing about chams, even if they are an unsocial pet..you can have enjoyment with feeding or watering..try an eyedropper in the morning for water( chams are instinctivley active towards water in the morning morn than so at night )..also try hand feeding food items to yer cham..if they seem threatened by your large unfamiliar hand, buy some feeding tongs..it worked for two of mine..(once they involve you with food, or good things, they lose the threat feeling..yeah they still dont like to be held..but having a cham run towards you to feed and drink is just as cool as holding them at the same distance you can look at them for a few minutes....but without added stress..!!:D

Couldn't have said it better.. completely agree

it really is true tho..i mean sometimes you do get lucky but ...it is rare...chams from what i was taught are a display animal..dogs are a friend..i have a cat that sits, and he doesent need affection all the time like a dog..my chams only need crickets and water from me...its all in steps, but truthfully i like an animal that doesent constantly need me..( i dont have kids...these are close enough for me..lol)

Yeah once I see him starting to turn away I just let him walk away. I can't even do complete cleanings because he will not get near me so I can just spot clean right now

Yeah once I see him starting to turn away I just let him walk away. I can't even do complete cleanings because he will not get near me so I can just spot clean right now

you will have to do some full cleanings (because good hygiene is a must for a healthy animal of any kind). for those cases you gotta do what you gotta do, but that doesn't need to be every day, I don't think stress now and then is going to make him drop dead (and it comes down to the lesser of two evils)

what people are warning about is stressing him when there is no benefit to his health and well being, full cage cleanings, vet visits, those are some exceptions that have to be made.

what you might try that works for some, is to hold small stick/branch in his cage door for him to climb on then transfer him to a tree out side the cage while you clean it (i used to have a fake tree for max to play on while I cleaned). some times they feel less treatend by a stick than your hand coming into there cage (don't poke it at them, let them come to it)

Back
Top Bottom