hand feeding and cup feeding tips

rangocham89

I have had my lil man for 3 weeks now, and was wondering what tips are there for hand feeding and cup feeding. As wanting my lil man to start trusting me. Beginning of the week he was a bit more grumpy then normal as he was shedding.
I have purchased a feeding cup which was recommended on here

Just work your way up. I fed from an unheld cup for the first month of having my veiled, and I would try at least once a week after he got used to me to at least get him to recognize there was food in my hand, the put it in the cage for him. Eventually, I switched over to feeding tongs. The way I got him to hand feed was to put a dubia in the feeder tongs, then quickly put it into my hand when he recognized it was food. Now, he will eat from my hand like its no problem, and I can even get him on to my hand via food.

When I first got my cham, I hand fed him crickets/superworms for quite a while so he knew I was his source of feeding. After a while of hand feeding, I would put his food in a cup and hold it below him so he can just eat out of it. About ever other day after a feeding I would give him a superworm as a treat (but be careful because they will only want superworms if fed too often). I've never left a cup of his food inside his cage and I've had him for a year and a half now, but that's just me.

Just a side question, what kind of chameleon is he? And what's his name?

Just a side question, what kind of chameleon is he? And what's his name?[/QUOTE]
He is a 15 week old veiled chameleon his name is Rango

Attachments

• IMG_3235.JPG
    IMG_3235.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 127
Another side question to you hand feeders....

Do you sort of squish the bug or anything to keep it from instantly jumping off your hand so your cham has time to get it?

Another side question to you hand feeders....

Do you sort of squish the bug or anything to keep it from instantly jumping off your hand so your cham has time to get it?
I hold the cricket by it's back legs, I will post a picture in about 10 mins

This is how I hand feed, it may be kind of difficult with small crickets though

Attachments

• 20170625_110923.jpg
    20170625_110923.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 95
This is how I hand feed, it may be kind of difficult with small crickets though
I do this as well. The wife and are just brought a new year and a half old veiled into the house and we're trying our best to hand feed him this way, occasionally he misses though and hits my finger.

I ain't tried hand feeding him yet. Would tweezers be ok? And not really keen on touching the bugs haha. And I have found with the crickets/ locusts I have you hold their back legs and their back leg/legs fall off

I ain't tried hand feeding him yet. Would tweezers be ok? And not really keen on touching the bugs haha. And I have found with the crickets/ locusts I have you hold their back legs and their back leg/legs fall off

You kind of have to grab their legs and pinch at their knees. I'm sure tweezers will be fine though haha

Back
Top Bottom