Half of panther Chaneleons tail is black

She is doing just fine it has not gotten any worse and she can use it perfectly fine, I’ll look into the fishing line but it could of been it slipped too

I dont know. I'd take my advice with a grain of salt because im not sure. but the only two instances I've heard of with that are injuries, or shedded skin not coming off and cutting off circulation. both of which I dont think there's a lot a vet can do to save it once it's at that point. if she still has mobility and strength in it maybe (hopefully) it's just weird markings starting to show. was it gradual, or was it fine one day and solid black the next? part of me wants to say to keep an eye on if it seems like its bothering her at all take her in. the other thinks if there is a real problem the earlier she can be seen, the better likelyhood it can be fixed. i hope somebody else with more experience on it chimes in.
im no expert with chameleons just yet but the cases of human circulation loss and in other animals usually leads to muscle tissue death because of the lack of oxygen to keep the cells producing energy to stay alive(atp via AEROBIC respiration) and protein through ribosomes to repair itself. the muscles would have died and fluid from cells would have filled in the area within a matter of hours. can it be tail rot? would like to know more about that.

im no expert with chameleons just yet but the cases of human circulation loss and in other animals usually leads to muscle tissue death because of the lack of oxygen to keep the cells producing energy to stay alive(atp via AEROBIC respiration) and protein through ribosomes to repair itself. the muscles would have died and fluid from cells would have filled in the area within a matter of hours. can it be tail rot? would like to know more about that.

If it was tail rot or circulation loss, then the whole tail from that point down would be black. The pictures clearly show only the right half of the tail is black.

How old is she? Is to possible for a chameleon to live in the same cage for a long time and one day just get a burn?
well in enclosure pic you can see there's a vine leading straight to the light, so I'd say it's a possibility that tail was closer to the light than the rest of its body it could be possible

Did you take her to the vet before this happened? Can happen during transport or handling.

I had a Fischers chameleon that had one side of his whole tail turn black. It wasn't damaged anywhere, never figured out what happened but eventually faded back to green. Took weeks though.

Back
Top Bottom