Had a strange idea for a project.

cyberlocc

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I like most of you, think that Full Throttles bug cup is super cool. But I had an idea, of a even better version. I want to run this buy the bug guys, and do you think it would work.

What if we made one, out of a super big cork round, cut out a hole, and made a floor, just like the Full Throttle one, except made from cork.

Obviously the bugs can climb cork. However, what if the inside was lined with silicon? Would they be able to climb that? My idea was a "Feeding Branch". My Vivs background is cork, I could make this look like a branch coming out of the background, and make it look natural, like it belongs, not like a piece of PVC hanging in the cage.

It also, to me would be more natural. That's a realistic place to find alot of the bugs we feed, in a hollowed rotten branch.

Not that your idea isn't good but you could also wrap the outside of the full throttle ones in cork bark to make them look more natural and then not worry about the bugs climbing.

Not that I have done this but your idea led me to think about it haha.

Not that your idea isn't good but you could also wrap the outside of the full throttle ones in cork bark to make them look more natural and then not worry about the bugs climbing.

Not that I have done this but your idea led me to think about it haha.

So that was my original idea, however it won't look as natural, and it would be alot heavier so it would be hard for me to attach to my Enclosure. Either way, I would likely screw or nail it in though, that's the only way for me to secure safely.

But ya, straight cork, and clear silicon, it would look more natural, and I could leave it uncoated for the climbing area.

Wait... I have the full throttle feeding cup. Are you saying I can use it with my Dubai’s, and they won’t be able to climb out? I know they can’t climb on slick surfaces, but those they might are able to reach thru the green screen thingy. You just made my life so much easier.

Wait... I have the full throttle feeding cup. Are you saying I can use it with my Dubai’s, and they won’t be able to climb out? I know they can’t climb on slick surfaces, but those they might are able to reach thru the green screen thingy. You just made my life so much easier.
Dubia roaches are fine to put in the Full Throttle feeder cups they will not escape.

I may be wrong but I believe they can climb silicone.

I don't think so, I could be wrong, though. From what I have seen they can't.

I had Dubia for a short time a long time ago, and never seen them climb it on Aquariums. My Orangeheads don't climb it on Aquariums.

I use to use Vaseline on my Hissers tank, but they don't even try to climb it. They can, kind of, they will if you
chase them. They don't seem to care to try.

There may be better options that Silicon though. Now that you mentioned it, I am thinking Flex Seal. I have some left over from my soil bin. (I did the whole cage in Sweetwater epoxy, and then did a layer of flex seal too on the soil bin).

Flex Seal stays super duper slick, like slicker than Glass. I don't think it comes in clear, but black is okay I guess. I also hear the UV light makes it turn Brown. So that could work.

If I twist the opening ever so slightly, where I can still look into the "Branch" but the opening isn't seen when look into the VIv from the front a few feet away, that would be fine. Still look natural to us and to the Cham, if done right.

And if there is an escapee every once in awhile that's fine, he can hunt them :).

Well if silicone dries anything like hot glue then they can climb it... I have been making multiple feeding cups trying to figure out what Bahari will like best... Running into all sorts of issues with either the bugs getting out or he just wants nothing to do with it lol.

Well if silicone dries anything like hot glue then they can climb it... I have been making multiple feeding cups trying to figure out what Bahari will like best... Running into all sorts of issues with either the bugs getting out or he just wants nothing to do with it lol.

Silicon dries fairly slick. Not as slick as Flex Seal though.

Back
Top Bottom