Habanero lover.....

Paranoid

Hey Cham Lovers,

Just thought I'd put this out there as I think its quite unusual....

I have a 18 month old Yemen Cham called Boris, he loves nothing more than free roaming the house during the summer months. His favourite spot is in the window on his Umbrella plant, I also have a Weeping fig just and 2 Hebenero chilli plants (with fruit) for me.

I kept noticing half eaten peppers and figured it was a loose cricket or hopper as they love to destroy my plants......but no, I caught Boris this morning chewing a red pepper, without a care in the world!

I was really worried the heat of the pepper would harm him and he has been off his hoppers lately, but that normal during the hot weather right?

Has anyone else seen their Cham do this?

Thanks guys

lol, no never have but i dont have peppers growing either..my female veiled probably would though lol..she eats anything that even remotely looks like a plant lol

Haha.....he seems fine today, maybe it doesn't effect them like it does humans.....It really made me chuckle!! :)

Haha.....he seems fine today, maybe it doesn't effect them like it does humans.....It really made me chuckle!! :)

My family used to have this problem with a large Amazon we took in once. That bird was the funniest. She would eat dinner at the table with us, we had a perch on a stand next to a table and would give her a bowel of red chili. She would just sit there and eat with us happy as could be. Very fond childhood memory :)

Interesting to know this could be a thing with chams! I almost want to try it with mine when he gets older. I love having peppers around!

:) Ah my parents have an Amazon and an African Grey, The Amazon (Pancho) loves dried chillis.....hehe!!!

I did read on here that Chams like red bell peppers ( no heat ) so maybe he mistook it for one of those, I will try and feed him red peppper from now on. He usually snubbs any fruit or veg I give him so this is a good sign.

Please do try it and let me know :)

Funny story about African Greys, they are banned in my parents' house now. We birdsat one for about a week and it developed an unhealthy obsession with my mother. He would figure out how to open the door and stalk her around the house. She'd turn around and he would be staring at her form behind a corner. Or she'd be washing dishes and he would walk up and say "I love you!" and make her jump. He got out in the middle of the night once and she woke up to him on her stomach staring at her, I thought someone was getting murdered when I heard that scream. He would also go out of his way to devise sneak attacks on my dad. Climb out and hide under the couch and bite the fire out of his big toes. I was certain he was going to murder that bird. My mom to this day has a distaste for the name Percy.

That's good to know about red peppers! I cook with those pretty frequently so I'll have to try that out. I might leave a habañero out one day and see if he bites :) I'm not well versed in chameleon physiology so it might be fun to research what kind of chemoreceptor functions they have going on with those cool tongues.

Haha!! Thats so funny..........parrots only like 1 person, they see them as their mate! If they dont like you, you know about it thats for sure. Our Amazon stalks our my Mom and tries to bite her, he flies up the hallway trying to attack.....he's horrible!!

The African Grey is a baby, so cute and talks ( swears) so well....he does like the occasional nibble on your finger though.

Please tell me how you get on with the peppers :)

Back
Top Bottom