Gutloading

g schrock

j/w when gutloading my crickets (collard greens / carrots / oranges) do they have to be super-fresh or no? im almost to the end of my greens and they're looking a little limp (still green)... is that effecting the crickets nutrition at all?

also

my little guy is getting older (still only ~3 months) / im looking for something else too feed, i can get roaches for fairly cheap, and was wondering if anybody could help with the care / gutloading procedure for them. (i know about hook / phoenix worms, but he's not a super big fan of feeding tongs, and he is weary of the cup that i cut... he looks in, but doesn't go for the worms, if i put them on a branch or leaf, he walks right up and snags it.)

if i do go to roaches, will they climb up to the top of the cage like the crickets or no?

thank you guys for all your help. most forums suck big time, but ive gotten nothing but support and help from you all, and it's greatly appreciated.

I highly recomend silkworms. They are a lowfat worm and high in calcium. Glad you like the forums. We have a great group of people here!

if i do go to roaches, will they climb up to the top of the cage like the crickets or no?

thank you guys for all your help. most forums suck big time, but ive gotten nothing but support and help from you all, and it's greatly appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Old veg looses nutritional content. But you can still use them if you've nothing fresh. Something is better than nothing.
Yes you need more than crickets. Aim to have no single prey choice make up more than 40% of your chams diet if possible. The more variety the better.
Roaches are a good idea, in that they can be gutloaded, but you'll have to hand feed or find a feeding cup/bowl that he likes. Roaches hide.
I agree silkworms are a good option as well, Also gutloadable - and can be placed on any branch easily.
Terrestrial isopods are great (captive bred only) too.
Butterworms are good, easy, and gutloadable to some extent.
Cultured blue bottle flies are a nice treat.

More info on feeders and how to gutload them:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/74-feeders.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...just-crickets-roaches-gutload-everything.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition-gutloading.html
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/659-green-leafy-goodness-gutloading.html

Last edited:
Like said above, old (but not rotten or moldy) veggies are better than no veggies.

As babies/young animals, they can sometimes be a little harder to feed a variety (either from a lack of access for you, or because they are a little picky/reluctant to try new bugs.) Like sandra said, try not to let any single type of feeder make up more than 40% of the diet, and it would be even better if you can get it down to 20-30%.

Roaches are great feeders, but they don't usually climb up to the top of the cage (they like the dark.) Sometimes it is easier to hand feed or cup/tub feed them. If you use a nice show box sized tub that isn't too deep or shallow, chameleons seem to take to feeding from them better in my experience. Some of them just don't like the small little cups and wont eat from them (but they will poop in them!) Silkworms, hornworms, small superworms and mealworms, mantids, etc. are great feeder choices as well and are easy to get. Try not to feed too many superworms/mealworms though, or the animal might refuse any other types of bugs.

I agree silkworms are a great addition, and more gutloadable than most know! Silkworms are best raised on mulberry chow for healthy growth, but they will also munch down on just about any green, carrots, butternut squash, etc. I usually remove the silkworms that I plan to feed the next day from the rest of the colony and put them in a separate container with a rotation of different gutloads, which they happily cosume after being reared on chow. By the next morning they are full of nutritious gutload and lots of hydration!

I agree silkworms are a great addition, and more gutloadable than most know! Silkworms are best raised on mulberry chow for healthy growth, but they will also munch down on just about any green, carrots, butternut squash, etc. I usually remove the silkworms that I plan to feed the next day from the rest of the colony and put them in a separate container with a rotation of different gutloads, which they happily cosume after being reared on chow. By the next morning they are full of nutritious gutload and lots of hydration!

agreed. When I was breeding them (I just buy now) I raised them on chow and dandelion leaves, with occassional other things added in.

Back
Top Bottom