Gutload Blend and Bee Pollen

ajs

Avid Member
I am going to try to make a gutload blend and freeze it into small cubes today based on these ingredients:

Dandelion greens
Kale
Squash
Collards
Zucchini
Sweet potato
Sweet red pepper
Apples
Mixed berries

I am thinking about adding bee pollen to this. Has anyone else tried this? How much should I add?

Please feel free to critique my choices of vegetables/fruits as well

I use kale in mine but it is high in oxalates, if i recall correctly. You could swap it for mustard greens.

Bee pollen is a great addition. Just eyeball it / wing it based on amounts. I adds a good amount - prob like a few tablespoons to a blender full? I also add a spirulina cap or two.

Papaya and papaya seeds are a great fruit addition. I throw carrots in mine, too. Canned raw Pumpkin.

I tend to make two different mixes (theres always more ingredients left than will fit in the blender). I use berries in one so i have a “purple” and “green” cube and i give one of each or alternate.

How messy or wet do these end up getting? I would like to switch to this method rather then replacing the veggies every few days.

Reactions: ajs
Yeah I've done almost this exact thing plus some and added bee pollen and other random crap. Don't over think it. Just add a few servings. I liked to make a few different batches and mix it up. Doesn't matter much.

I use kale in mine but it is high in oxalates, if i recall correctly. You could swap it for mustard greens.

Bee pollen is a great addition. Just eyeball it / wing it based on amounts. I adds a good amount - prob like a few tablespoons to a blender full? I also add a spirulina cap or two.

Papaya and papaya seeds are a great fruit addition. I throw carrots in mine, too. Canned raw Pumpkin.

I tend to make two different mixes (theres always more ingredients left than will fit in the blender). I use berries in one so i have a “purple” and “green” cube and i give one of each or alternate.

Great advice, yes forgot the spirulina. I love spirulina lol. Papaya seeds are shown to kill parasites, so could possibly help chams... getting all the colors in there too always helps!

Mixed kale up with spinach. Kale is low in oxalates but high in goitrogens which may have an effect on thyroid function. I think iodine foods can reverse this, but I wouldn't bother worrying as long as you're not pounding kale every day.

How messy or wet do these end up getting? I would like to switch to this method rather then replacing the veggies every few days.

I freeze it ine ice cubs. If uneaten or on plastic floor it might get a little runny. I throw two cubes in and theyre usually eaten overnight by my small/med sized dubia colony. No mess on my end. If I put too much in a cricjet keeper and its not eaten quickly it does melt a little.

My guys are in bio bins so a little moisture just seeps into the soil. Not a big deal. You might want to use a little lid or dish if not using some sort of substrate.

I freeze it ine ice cubs. If uneaten or on plastic floor it might get a little runny. I throw two cubes in and theyre usually eaten overnight by my small/med sized dubia colony. No mess on my end. If I put too much in a cricjet keeper and its not eaten quickly it does melt a little.

My guys are in bio bins so a little moisture just seeps into the soil. Not a big deal. You might want to use a little lid or dish if not using some sort of substrate.
Awesome gonna have to try this. Gotta add the veggies to the wifes grocery list ?

Im glad this thread is here.
What kinds of dry gutloads do you guys use, such as seeds (spirulina and bee pollen) what else?

Im glad this thread is here.
What kinds of dry gutloads do you guys use, such as seeds (spirulina and bee pollen) what else?

I dont use any dry gut load, personally. I throw some bug burger/superload in my mix, and most have access to oak leaves and rye grass. I am personally / honestly not sure what the benefits are of the dry gut load but it just seems like a hassle, so i dont bother. *zips up flame suit*

I dont use any dry gut load, personally. I throw some bug burger/superload in my mix, and most have access to oak leaves and rye grass. I am personally / honestly not sure what the benefits are of the dry gut load but it just seems like a hassle, so i dont bother. *zips up flame suit*
Exactly how I have been thus far on it.
Thats why I am asking. Maybe some can educate me in my dry gutload ignorance. :p

Do you use normal sized ice cube trays? I typically have only been keeping about 100-200 Dubias at a time, so I am looking into smaller cubes I think. If anyone has some good recommendations, that would be awesome!

I'm also a little worried about them melting since I have just been keeping my dubias in paper egg carton material inside a Tupperware container. Not sure if I have a dish small enough that the dubias would also be able to reach

Do you use normal sized ice cube trays? I typically have only been keeping about 100-200 Dubias at a time, so I am looking into smaller cubes I think. If anyone has some good recommendations, that would be awesome!

I'm also a little worried about them melting since I have just been keeping my dubias in paper egg carton material inside a Tupperware container. Not sure if I have a dish small enough that the dubias would also be able to reach

My colony is prob about the same size. I use normal ice cuve trays and they devour just about anything i put in there. They seem to prefer the cubes and eat them over carrots and oranges.

Yea it could get a little messy with egg cartons. A bug cup lid or small tuperware lid would work fine. It will just keep any liquid contained so it dries up or you can easily remove it.

My colony is prob about the same size. I use normal ice cuve trays and they devour just about anything i put in there. They seem to prefer the cubes and eat them over carrots and oranges.

Yea it could get a little messy with egg cartons. A bug cup lid or small tuperware lid would work fine. It will just keep any liquid contained so it dries up or you can easily remove it.

Okay great, thanks a lot!

I have a cricket keeper, but I am moving away from using crickets as a feeder I think. Do dubias do well in that type of container? I know they like it dark, so I would cover it or keep it in a larger cardboard box. It would make it easy to place the cubes in the little feeder tray that comes with it

Okay great, thanks a lot!

I have a cricket keeper, but I am moving away from using crickets as a feeder I think. Do dubias do well in that type of container? I know they like it dark, so I would cover it or keep it in a larger cardboard box. It would make it easy to place the cubes in the little feeder tray that comes with it

I put some in the cricket keeper to make it easier to feed em. I shake like a weeks worth into the keeper and keep it near the cages. Just dont knock it over and they are fine in it :p

Reactions: ajs
Back
Top Bottom