Gut Loading silkworms

NashansCamos

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I'm buying a lot of silkworms. I don't want to breed them its just that i've heard they're healthy. I want to keep them alive and will probably start buying them more often. So my question is can you gutload silkies with the same stuff you gutload locusts/crickets (i.e. kale, lettuce, carrots ect.) or is there something more specific they require. The website I bought them (silkwormstore.co.uk) had this thing called "mulberry chow" which I decided against buying. Should I buy the mulberry stuff or is it easier to just give them normal gutloading veggies?

So I'm buying a lot of silkworms. I don't want to breed them its just that i've heard they're healthy. I want to keep them alive and will probably start buying them more often. So my question is can you gutload silkies with the same stuff you gutload locusts/crickets (i.e. kale, lettuce, carrots ect.) or is there something more specific they require. The website I bought them (silkwormstore.co.uk) had this thing called "mulberry chow" which I decided against buying. Should I buy the mulberry stuff or is it easier to just give them normal gutloading veggies?
They usually come in a container that has enough chow in it to feed them until you feed them off to your cham. They only eat mulberry leaves or chow.

Yeah, unless you have access to fresh mulberry leaves, I would buy the chow. I've heard of people giving them other foods, but it's not a long term solution if you want to keep them alive.

They usually come in a container that has enough chow in it to feed them until you feed them off to your cham. They only eat mulberry leaves or chow.
I'll see how much chow it comes with and if its enough then I wont buy anymore now but in the future I'll probably buy extra. Are silkworms good main feeders? I hear that they're good for hydration and the locusts that I buy are really jumpy which is annoying but I don't know anyone who uses silkworms for their chams main diet. My chameleons will eat anything that moves lol so they probably wouldn't mind a change.

I'll see how much chow it comes with and if its enough then I wont buy anymore now but in the future I'll probably buy extra. Are silkworms good main feeders? I hear that they're good for hydration and the locusts that I buy are really jumpy which is annoying but I don't know anyone who uses silkworms for their chams main diet. My chameleons will eat anything that moves lol so they probably wouldn't mind a change.
I use silkies as one of my staple feeders. I’ve heard that they are second in nutrition to roaches.

Here's a link to a blog where it lists the stuff you can use to gutload silkworms - again, probably not good for the worms long term, but if you are only using other foods for a short time before you feed them off it should be fine.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-crickets-and-roaches-gutload-everything.407/

That is entirely up to you. I feed a variety...roaches, silkworms, bsfl, and have added the dreaded crickets as my beardie loves them and is an eating machine.

Thanks thats helpful. It wouldn't be long term the longest a silkworm would be in my care would be maybe 1-2 weeks. It will also be easier if i'm using the same stuff to gutload different feeders. That website looks good as well and sells other stuff as I'm trying to keep their diet as varied as possible. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom