Gut Loading Questions for Young Jacksons Chameleon

Kamran_k

Established Member
So I've noticed today that my chameleon has been closing one eye while moving it and I read that that could be a sign of Vitamin A deficiency. I have been using Flukers Orange Cube to gut load my crickets but today I put some apples for the crickets and Tangerines for the super worms and what are some of the best gut loaders for insects. I usually dont gut load the superworms because here they come with Oats in there containers so I assumed they eat the oats but today just in case I put some food high in vitamin A for them. He also recently shed and I was wondering if his skin could be a little irritated from that.

What Insects would you guys recommend? I usually rotate Superworms and Crickets (mostly crickets because of superworms high fat content) but I have also ordered Silkworms and I fed him Waxworms once but I've read nothing but bad things about those so I stopped.

Immediately stop the flukers. There is litteraly zero nutritional value for that. Leafy greens are considered to be the best for Vitamin A and beta carotene which is a vitamin A precursor. The problem is there has been research not only on chameleons but also on humans that shows we don't get very much if at all vitamin a from beta carotene. This is more so with reptiles. There is no feeder I'm aware of that's on the market that is high in vitamin A. This is where supplements come in. Since you have a Jackson's I'd recommend Repashy Calcium plus LoD as a replacement for whatever multivitamin you may currently be using if at all. Vitamin A deficiency could be a cause of this, but there could be other issues happening as well. He could be sick, deficient, malnourished, or it could be an obstructionion or shed stuck in his eye. I'd also recommend taking him to the vet for a checkup to be 100% positive.

I'll call the vet in the morning I had to get him checked for parasites too anyways any idea how much that'll cost last time I took him for a check up it was $85. I dont think he is malnourished as he eats all the time but better to be safe then sorry I'll up the feeders. I do use Repashy Calcium Plus 3 times a week but I've heard good things about the one you recommended so ill try it out. What would you recommend to get rid of an obstruction of shed I heard a warm shower does the trick. But nothing is safer then a vet visit.

I put apples in with the crickets should I take that out and put greens or are apples okay? Apples are high in vitamin a so I assumed they'd do the trick

So I've noticed today that my chameleon has been closing one eye while moving it and I read that that could be a sign of Vitamin A deficiency. I have been using Flukers Orange Cube to gut load my crickets but today I put some apples for the crickets and Tangerines for the super worms and what are some of the best gut loaders for insects. I usually dont gut load the superworms because here they come with Oats in there containers so I assumed they eat the oats but today just in case I put some food high in vitamin A for them. He also recently shed and I was wondering if his skin could be a little irritated from that.
I would fill this out in detail and include pics. I have tagged our Jackson's expert to help you out.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Jacksons Chameleon, Less Than 5 months, Male, 3 weeks
  • Handling - Often but cutting it back to only when I have to remove him for cleaning for vet visit
  • Feeding - Small- medium crickets 4-5, 3 superworms (Crickets are his staple). I just ordered him Black Soldier Fly Larvae, Blue Bottle Fly larvae, Waxworms, Mealworms, Silkworms, and the place I ordered it from also included hornworms (not planning on feeding those they are much too large) Flukers orange cube and Repashy Bug Burger (vet gave it to me) for gut loading but now switching to Fruits and Veggies
  • Supplements - Repahsy Calcium plus 3 times a week, Reptivite once a month
  • Watering - Misting didnt mist much yesterday humidity was high but I usually mist 4-6 times a day, yes I seen him drink but not recently but his urate was white so im sure he's drinking
  • Fecal Description - Dark brown solid and hes getting checked this month but never before
  • History - Ordered him from Underground Reptiles

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Screen, 18x18x40
  • Lighting - Zoomed Blue Light 60 w Reptisun 13w UVB, double dome (heard this isn't the best option I was misinformed while shopping for him) 12 hrs on 12 hrs off but sometimes I have the tv on when hes asleep but he doesn't seem to mind
  • Temperature - (Thermometers a are having a hard time sticking but im going today to get supplies and food) 75 basking, 70 ambient.
  • Humidity - 60-80% real plants are in there and I live in an arid climate so had to wrap 2 sides with Plastic to maintain humidity
  • Plants - Weeping Ficus and Money Tree and when I take him out I place him on a hibiscus, and some fake plants and planning on Adding some branches from a ficus Carica from outside
  • Placement - Back of my room on a nightstand about 2 feet from the ground not near any air vents or doors
  • Location - Los Angeles, Ca

Current Problem - yesterday I noticed he was closing his eye while having one open and I freaked out (I'm such an anxious person and I got a bond with Rango he listens to all my problems lol) and I thought something was wrong because I know there not supposed to do that and I was wondering whats wrong I put high vitamin a food in for his feeders just to make sure it wasn't vitamin A deficiency.

Vet visit was great he was in great shape even gained weight and no vitamin A def. and no problems with health or eyes. I guess im doing s better job then I think lol

Sorry, I'm not on much on weekends. I suspect he was cleaning his eye. It a bit disturbing to watch but is a normal function for their very specialized eyes. I try to get mine to clean theirs once or twice a week by giving them a long hand misting. They probably do it from the automatic misting but I like to know it's getting done and that they get the occasional good long drink.
As said above Flukers will keep crickets alive but doesn't benefit your chameleon much. Under the resources page on nutrition is a very good gut load list.

Back
Top Bottom