gut loaded crickets!???

writh

are the crickets at petsmart and petco gutloaded and is any store better than the other? just sprinkle on some calcium and their ready to eat? or should I gutload them with anything else?

The crickets that you buy ARE NOT gutloaded at the store. You need to gutload them yourself BEFORE feeding them to your cham. You can buy a premixed gutload here in the classified section or use collard greens, kale, potatoes, carrots, apple, orange and romaine on your own. Pet store are not a good place to buy feeders in my opinion. I buy my online.

The crickets that you buy ARE NOT gutloaded at the store. You need to gutload them yourself BEFORE feeding them to your cham. You can buy a premixed gutload here in the classified section or use collard greens, kale, potatoes, carrots, apple, orange and romaine on your own. Pet store are not a good place to buy feeders in my opinion. I buy my online.

can u give me the link?

I know that my local Petsmart gutloads with Flukers. I am not sure if that is standard procedure in all of them. I however choose to feed mine cricket crack. :)

Jmo..

When it comes to my Nosy Faly's food, I believe the more preparation the better. I Realized quite quickly how innefficient most of the commercial gutloads are IMHO. There are a ton of people on various reptile classified websites that sell premium gut load at very reasonable prices. Personally, I enjoy doing it myself so I know exactly what he is getting from his food and it has helped me, in the past, to recognize things like over/under supplementation.

I try to place the same level of attention into food prep as I do when it comes to hydrating Mr. Mojohnson. Every since I quit using the commercial stuff, my wife and I noticed a huge change in his daily level of activity and he became more friendly and finally is starting to hand feed! ( He's only 4.5 months and would only eat if it was a challenging hunt for him lol!)

Good Luck and I hope everyone has many years full of amazing memories with their beloved Chams! :)

Check out Sandrachameleon for gut load recipes. Once you have the ingredients they will keep you going for ages.

No matter where you purchase your feeders from they should be brought home and supplied with a gutload (either commercial or homemade) for 24 hours before you feed them to your chams.

The 24 hours allows for any non-nutritional food they have eaten to be passed and time for them to eat the goodies you supplied. I've noticed after 24 hours a few crickets that were unhealthy looking to begin with will have died off and the healthy ones thrive and get big!!! Unhealthy crickets can be unhealthy food!!! Better they die than be fed to your chameleon!!!

Sandrachameleon has a blog all about gutloading, i was able to make one of her dry recipes up and its lasted months for me (not to mention all of the ingredients together ran about 6 bucks), along with some fresh fruits and veggies you'll have the healthiest crickets around! Oh and your Cham will Flourish too!!!!!!! Lol

Good luck and happy Cham keeping!!

Back
Top Bottom