Gut load question

I see here that quite a few people make a blended mash of gut load foods. I had been just chopping up fresh veggies and putting them in with my bugs in bits....
Is it better to make a mash instead? I am assuming that maybe this would make it easier for the bugs to eat?

Hey @spacecats1001 you can also try the ice cube trick. Basically place all your fruits and veggies into a blender so it makes it look like a smoothie. Just don't get confused that its for your pet, well, maybe you can have some too if you dare :p:DOnce its into a smoothie consistency, put the blend into an ice cube tray let it freeze and then put them in a bag. Voila! (y) Take a look on YouTube videos there's quite a few that show how to do this.

Hey @spacecats1001 you can also try the ice cube trick. Basically place all your fruits and veggies into a blender so it makes it look like a smoothie. Just don't get confused that its for your pet, well, maybe you can have some too if you dare :p:DOnce its into a smoothie consistency, put the blend into an ice cube tray let it freeze and then put them in a bag. Voila! (y) Take a look on YouTube videos there's quite a few that show how to do this.
Thank you I will definitely check that out.
I am guessing that this is more beneficial than just dropping in whole ingredients? I guess either way if good....this seems like a more convenient way to gutload during the week for sure though!

I find that when fruits/veggies are broken down into this form, they mold extremely quickly when placed in the insects' enclosure.

So long as you remember to removed leftover food and change it out daily, you should be fine.

I find that when fruits/veggies are broken down into this form, they mold extremely quickly when placed in the insects' enclosure.

So long as you remember to removed leftover food and change it out daily, you should be fine.
That is a good point.
As it is I do "bug groceries" every other day.....and that gets tiring. BUT if it is easier to just grab the thawed cube and smear it, that might be better actually than chopping so...hmm. Going to have to try and see. As long as it gets into the bugs the same that's all I care about(y)

Honestly it's just easier the blended ice cube way, that's why i do it... trick to keep it from molding as fast(if at all). Put the cube on a paper towel let it thaw completely, the towel will absorb most of the moisture leaving just enough to hydrate your bugs. It evaporates before molding.

Honestly it's just easier the blended ice cube way, that's why i do it... trick to keep it from molding as fast(if at all). Put the cube on a paper towel let it thaw completely, the towel will absorb most of the moisture leaving just enough to hydrate your bugs. It evaporates before molding.

Do you then place the paper towel with the bugs? Is it changed daily or can it go two days at that point?

I put a smear of fresh smoothy on a paper towel and pulled it out after 2 days - no mold and the paper towel did absorb a lot of moisture. I'm pretty sure they ate more of the "smear" compared to when I put the smoothy on a lid.

I see here that quite a few people make a blended mash of gut load foods. I had been just chopping up fresh veggies and putting them in with my bugs in bits....
Is it better to make a mash instead? I am assuming that maybe this would make it easier for the bugs to eat?
I do a few things now, as I've been trying to up my gutload game. I provide three separate food items and sprinkle with either bee pollen or another dry mix.

I take Repashy's superload and make a gel of it with hot water and such then place it with some form of greens like collared or arugula and either an apple, sweet potato, orange etc... for moisture then sprinkle that with some dry stuff. I rotate out the fruit or greens week to week to help with variety.

Back
Top Bottom