Guinevere the Meller's finally seems to be doing better

Olimpia

Biologist & Ecologist
Ok, I know I'm jumping the gun a little, but I am exhausted from the amount of effort we've put into getting this girl better. So I am relieved and motivated to see her finally get excited by food.

As a little background...
We got her back in January, she came with a respiratory infection and the beginning of mouth rot. We got the respiratory infection under control quickly, but the mouth rot began rearing its ugly head and it's been a non-stop fight since then.

We've had to do three rounds of antibiotics. Three, guys. THREE. The entire time she showed no interest in food so she had to be force-fed the entire time (months!)

We spent the last couple weeks (with my father's help) wrapping her in a towel, cleaning out the gunk from her mouth, giving antibiotics, force feeding, etc..... and finally today, 10 days after the last dose of antibiotics, she RAN to her food bowl! She was so excited to eat.

guinevereeats.jpg

She gobbled up several large roaches and a couple small ones, I'm so relieved. A friend with Meller's had told us that a Meller's that stopped eating was a dead Meller's, so we did everything we could to keep her going. And I'm going to take this as a good sign that we're finally getting over this bad luck hump with her.

So send us good thoughts and hope that she continues to get better! We totally adore her, and want her to get over this persistent infection.

(Sorry for the cruddy photo. But you can see how swollen her gums still are.)

Thanks, guys. It's just encouraging to see her lunge towards her food again. She's been a challenging girl but we love her and she's surprisingly compliant.

That is GREAT to hear! I don't think your "jumping the gun." I think any sign that things are getting better instead of worse or staying the same is progress. I've only had my Mellers for two months. One was really bad off and I jump for joy when she is interested in food. She still doesn't eat regularly. She did start exploring her territory today for the first time. It made my day! So, I can totally understand where your coming from. A big congratulations is in order!

Deb

That is GREAT to hear! I don't think your "jumping the gun." I think any sign that things are getting better instead of worse or staying the same is progress. I've only had my Mellers for two months. One was really bad off and I jump for joy when she is interested in food. She still doesn't eat regularly. She did start exploring her territory today for the first time. It made my day! So, I can totally understand where your coming from. A big congratulations is in order!

Deb

Thanks Deb! This species has been the most challenging for me, I love them but I haven't had a lot of luck as far as receiving healthy animals from the get-go, even when CB. But I can see her right now through the window, chewing away on something she just picked from the feeding cub and I am elated! lol So yes, I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about! I hope yours also acclimates well.

Great news and I for one, knew you if anyone could get her up and about.

Thank you! It's been a lot of work so far, but all worth it if she continues to improve.

I think you did an excellent job turning her around. That's a major improvement that she's not only interested but going for food. She's a lovely lady and I hope she will continue to do well for you.

Olimpia I just knew you and Guinevere would make it. I know you were really fighting to get her back to healthy. I am very happy for you that it is finally happening. Great Job!

Olimpia, that's fantastic news, she is lucky to have such a good Cham mom as you :cool:

Last edited:
I think you did an excellent job turning her around. That's a major improvement that she's not only interested but going for food. She's a lovely lady and I hope she will continue to do well for you.

Thanks Jann! She's been sitting at her feeder bowl all morning, looking in. I've re-filled it twice now! It's totally fine with me if she eats all she wants today, honestly.

Such a great story to start off my day! Yay for you and her!!

Thank you!

Olimpia I just knew you and Guinevere would make it. I know you were really fighting to get her back to healthy. I am very happy for you that it is finally happening. Great Job!

Thank you Laurie, hopefully this is where she starts to turn around.

So happy to hear she is doing better! I've been following your Meller's story on your blog and it's just great to see that all the work you've been putting in her is starting to pay off :) congratulations, really!

As many others I am fascinated with Meller's and my special thanks goes to you, Olimpia, for sharing your experience with others, so we can all learn from it.

JUlija

Thank you Julija! That means a lot. I'm glad that a lot people appreciate the blog, but more so, I'm thankful for all the people who email me when they find the blog and wish us luck and send encourangement. Guinevere has definitely had better days and very bad days throughout treatment, and on the days where we though we might lose her that definitely helped.

Good to hear. I just got my first mellers and I was fortunate enough to receive a very healthy animal. I'm happy yours is coming around. They are quite the characters. Good luck to yours in the future! It sounds like the worst is over :)

Great news and great job! Must be such an awesome feeling for her to have turned the corner! I did not know about the blog!!!!!:confused:

Good job with her. Her taking on an appetite is a showing of appreciation for your efforts. Shes in great hands to get rid of that persistent mouth rot.

Im sure it wouldnt be an easy task with an melleri attitude. With your animals nose pointed towards the ground. Rinsing the area with diluted provodone iodine.
This step has helped cure some of the worst cases i have seen personally in not only chameleons.

Good luck

I'm so glad that Guinevere is eating again on her own! Kudos to you for bringing her back to health, and here's hoping that she'll continue on a great path for you! :D

Thanks everyone!

Good job with her. Her taking on an appetite is a showing of appreciation for your efforts. Shes in great hands to get rid of that persistent mouth rot.

Im sure it wouldnt be an easy task with an melleri attitude. With your animals nose pointed towards the ground. Rinsing the area with diluted provodone iodine.
This step has helped cure some of the worst cases i have seen personally in not only chameleons.

Good luck

Thank you! She's actually surprisingly compliant, she's not aggressive so I'm able to get away with doing a lot to her. We have an astringent rinse that we were wipe down her mouth with daily for weeks, that did an excellent job of getting rid of the yellow build-up and stopped it from coming back.

Back
Top Bottom