Growth retardedation

I got scammed a while ago and the chameleon I got is growth retarded, I'm pretty sure it's a female because she doesn't have the spurs on her feet, she is by far the sweetest chameleon every though, as soon as I put my hand in her cage she crawls right on.
So my question is, can growth retarded veiled chameleon lay eggs?

I do not understand what you mean by growth retarded... Many things can cause a chameleon not to grow to its full size potential. Genetics, parasites, Incorrect UVB type and UVI level at basking, Incorrect feeding and supplementation. Females are always quite a bit smaller than males as well.

A smaller female can and will lay eggs. We control clutch size with specific basking temps and specific food intake. This in turn keeps clutch size small typically under 20 eggs which is important since females can have reproductive issues that lead to death such as egg binding.

Growth retardedation is something that chameleons can get if they don't get the proper care for 3 months, they stay baby size permanently.
Here's a picture of her my hand is small so here's one of her next to a light

Attachments

• IMG_20221005_131105096.jpg
    IMG_20221005_131105096.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 60
Growth retardedation is something that chameleons can get if they don't get the proper care for 3 months, they stay baby size permanently.
Here's a picture of her my hand is small so here's one of her next to a light
So they actually stay small if ongoing care is incorrect as well. I believe you said in another thread that your using compact bulbs. Which unfortunately are not recommended in the hobby for chameleons due to the output level of the bulbs not being adequate for a chameleon.

Depending on where you got the baby from parasites cause a ton of growth issues. As babies they should be taking down 3 dozen crickets a day. So if feeding was correct and other husbandry was on point then my first check would be a fecal sample to make sure there is not a parasite issue.

Do you know how old the baby was when you got it? Do you have pics from when you got it? How long have you had it?

Heres a picture of when I first got her, my mom brought her home as a surprise she doesn't remember what age the guy said she was I assume 1 or 2 months.
I have had her since November 21 2021 so I guess like 13 months old now

Attachments

• IMG_20211121_190259454.jpg
    IMG_20211121_190259454.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 52
Heres a picture of when I first got her, my mom brought her home as a surprise she doesn't remember what age the guy said she was I assume 1 or 2 months.
I have had her since November 21 2021 so I guess like 13 months old now
So I would go through your husbandry for her. I doubt she would lay eggs at her size. She has passed her time period of growth ability even if husbandry and parasites are a concern.

But growth aside if she manages to produce a small clutch and husbandry is not on point it would then lead to major issues that could even mean death.

This is the site we recommend all keepers go and read through because 95% of the information that is out there is totally incorrect. This leads to many thinking they are providing the right care when in fact it is wrong. This can lead to MBD developing along with other complications that end in very short life spans. We try here to educate those that have been misinformed so that they do not have to go through the loss. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

You said..."Growth retardedation is something that chameleons can get if they don't get the proper care for 3 months, they stay baby size permanently"... Where did you hear this?

So I Google it only one thing came up. That basically says 100% your fault. If you got when month or two old. All the reason it says they can get it. Is everything you did with your care of the chameleon. Save the other one and bring back or rehome him. That way cham will have a healthy life with proper care that meet there requirements.

So I Google it only one thing came up. That basically says 100% your fault. If you got when month or two old. All the reason it says they can get it. Is everything you did with your care of the chameleon. Save the other one and bring back or rehome him. That way cham will have a healthy life with proper care that meet there requirements.
I was a first time chameleon owner and I didn't know, I'm ordering a new cage, plants, calcium and lamps today.
She wouldn't eat when I first got her I tried everyday it's NOT my fault ok?

I was a first time chameleon owner and I didn't know, I'm ordering a new cage, plants, calcium and lamps today.
Let's start from where you are now... Your in the right place to get help. Lots of incorrect info out there and you unfortunately found it. But it does not mean you can not do right by the cham now.

Let us know what you are ordering. I do not want you to order the wrong things.

How long was she not eating for? That would have A LOT to do with the “growth retardation”. How much do you feed her now?

Let's start from where you are now... Your in the right place to get help. Lots of incorrect info out there and you unfortunately found it. But it does not mean you can not do right by the cham now.

Let us know what you are ordering. I do not want you to order the wrong things.
Ok I'll send links before I order them.
I know what cage and plants to get but I am so confused with the light what should I get?

How long was she not eating for? That would have A LOT to do with the “growth retardation”. How much do you feed her now?
Well right now for some reason she spits out the big mealworms which is weird because she always ate them just fine, I have to feed her babies and she only eating like 5 a day and she's too small to force feed her.

I have a gift card from chewy for the cage and chewy doesn't have any reptile lights so yeah send me an Amazon link please
So you need this one... And you have to have 1 fixture per cage. https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-...mzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

This one comes with the bulb. These bulbs have to be replaced every 6-9 months so they are providing the correct UVB level for the chameleon. you will place a branch or vine 8-9 inches below the fixture sitting on top of the screen. This distance puts the cham in the exact UVB level they need for optimal health.

So you need this one... And you have to have 1 fixture per cage. https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-Ho-Terrarium-Hood/dp/B00CX5HXI2/ref=sr_1_5?crid=36518RNFV3CH&keywords=reptisun+t5+ho+terrarium+hood+24+inch&qid=1665078018&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIzLjM3IiwicXNhIjoiMi41NiIsInFzcCI6IjIuMzQifQ==&sprefix=Reptisun+,aps,1128&sr=8-5&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

This one comes with the bulb. These bulbs have to be replaced every 6-9 months so they are providing the correct UVB level for the chameleon. you will place a branch or vine 8-9 inches below the fixture sitting on top of the screen. This distance puts the cham in the exact UVB level they need for optimal health.
Ok is this all they need or do they need other lights too?

Back
Top Bottom