Greetings and salutations

Brad McLeod

I am new to the boards, and a new cham owner. I am from Canada, and am interested in conversing and learning all that I can.

Mind you, I have to comment that I seem to do the same thing all the time. See, I get what I want (like my new Cham, Shirley) and then I find that I got the hardest lizard to take care of. Did this with my Rottie, as well.

Well, that means I got some learning and doing to do.

Shirley is quite young, about 5 inches with tail. No one told me about the aquarim problem, as she was purchased from one. Tomorrow, I am getting a cage, not tall, but long, with screen, until I buy/make my own.

I am new to the boards, and a new cham owner. I am from Canada, and am interested in conversing and learning all that I can.

Mind you, I have to comment that I seem to do the same thing all the time. See, I get what I want (like my new Cham, Shirley) and then I find that I got the hardest lizard to take care of. Did this with my Rottie, as well.

Well, that means I got some learning and doing to do.

Shirley is quite young, about 5 inches with tail. No one told me about the aquarim problem, as she was purchased from one. Tomorrow, I am getting a cage, not tall, but long, with screen, until I buy/make my own.

Hi Brad, welcome to the forums.

What kind of chameleon is Shirley? You may be able to keep her in your aquarium for the time being, as it sounds like she is very young. Have you checked out this website yet? It is really a good resource for a new keeper looking for the basics: www.chameleonsdish.com.

A quick list of things you need if you don't have them already:
  • Cage (aquarium is fine if your cham is very young)
  • Clamp lamp with low wattage bulb for heat (very low if you use the aquarium)
  • UVB lamp (Zoomed Reptisun 5.0 is preferred by most chameleon keepers)
  • misting bottle or misting system (avoid the Habba Mister, it sucks.)
  • A plant or two
  • Paper towels for the floor of your aquarium (avoid substrates like gravel, sand, barkamulch, etc.)
  • Temperature and humidity guages
  • Sticks and/or vines for climbing
  • Appropriately sized bugs
  • Dusting powders (Rep-cal with and without D3, Miner-all I or O, Herptivite)
  • The location of a good exotics vet for emergencies

Hey, guess I should have mentioned this.

Female veiled, about a couple months old (4 or 5 inches, with tail)

I got the stuff I need.

Cage (aquarium is fine if your cham is very young)
So far so good, but this will change
Clamp lamp with low wattage bulb for heat (very low if you use the aquarium)
Got it. 56w.
UVB lamp (Zoomed Reptisun 5.0 is preferred by most chameleon keepers)
Um, I forgot the name brand, but I have a "specifically for lizards"UVB lamp. Thing gets FREAKING hot, so I have taken it to a suitable distance above the Aq.
misting bottle or misting system (avoid the Habba Mister, it sucks.)
Most assuredly will. If I can't take 2 minutes of out my day to make sure my Cham doesn't dehydrate to death, then I wouldn't be here.
A plant or two
Thinking Pothos, going to have questinosa about this one.
Paper towels for the floor of your aquarium (avoid substrates like gravel, sand, barkamulch, etc.)
Gonna ask a question about this one.
Temperature and humidity guages
Getting these today.
Sticks and/or vines for climbing
Appropriately sized bugs
Real and fake. Got lots.

Dusting powders (Rep-cal with and without D3, Miner-all I or O, Herptivite)
The location of a good exotics vet for emergencies
Didn't even know about the first one. Getting them today.

ABout thepaper towel. This is the first time I have heard of avoiding substrates. Why?

I think we need to put a ban on the user name Brad now! too many! Well too many for me.

Welcome Brad. Where are you located. I am in Burlington ontario, and there are some people here from Mississauga & Barrie and a few others that I don't know in person.

Most assuredly will. If I can't take 2 minutes of out my day to make sure my Cham doesn't dehydrate to death, then I wouldn't be here.

You need to mist for more then 2 minutes a day, more like 30 minutes minimum a day.

You need to mist for more then 2 minutes a day, more like 30 minutes minimum a day.

Enh, I don't really agree. Not for a veiled chameleon at least. Sure opportunities should be plentiful and more can be better, but it should be noted that too much can still harm them. A moderate humidity with each offered drinking opportunity being utilized would work very well.

Back
Top Bottom