Greens!

Savdugay

I’ve tried multiple times to feed my cham some greens, all different sorts such as collard greens and kale. Any time that i have tried she does not seem super interested in them and they end up not being eaten. she is a juvenile female, i am not sure how old she actually is as i just got her a month or so ago from a pet store. Help me please!

Chameleons are insectivores, while veileds are known to be nibblers and will occasionally take a bite or two of foliage, they dont really eat greens and veggies like that and theres nothing your going to be able to do to make you cham want them. You want greens and veg to be given to your feeders who are in turn, fed to you cham. You could try throwing some worms or feeders on top of a few greens so when they get the feeder they happen to get some greens too? ive had some success with this but really dont even waste your time with this. If you wanna feed em, give one of the healthy options on the care sheet below, Hope this helps!

Attachments

• JPEG image 2.jpeg
    JPEG image 2.jpeg
    192.3 KB · Views: 79
Welcome to the forum!

Usually young veiled chameleons won't eat greens or veggies...they will sometimes when they are older. They are really insectivores for the most part.

Just feed the greens and veggies to the crickets, roaches, etc and she will get them that way. You want to have healthy insects anyway so that your chameleon gets healthy food.

Since you have a female I'll mention a couple of things that are important.

While she is young, you can feed her as much as she will eat in a couple of minutes at each feeding....dusted with the proper supplements. Once she is a few months old you will want to cut her back in every second day and then only feed her less insects so that by the time she gets her big girl colors you will have her down to 3 to 5 crickets 2 or 3 times a week...or the same calories in other insects.

Veiled females can lay eggs like chickens....without a mate...so by doing this you will keep her clutches small or even stop them so it will be easier on her and she will live longer.

Once she is about 4 or 5 months old you will want to set up a laybin in her cage and leave it there always so she will have a place to lay her eggs if she needs to.

Hope this helps!

Welcome to the forum!

Usually young veiled chameleons won't eat greens or veggies...they will sometimes when they are older. They are really insectivores for the most part.

Just feed the greens and veggies to the crickets, roaches, etc and she will get them that way. You want to have healthy insects anyway so that your chameleon gets healthy food.

Since you have a female I'll mention a couple of things that are important.

While she is young, you can feed her as much as she will eat in a couple of minutes at each feeding....dusted with the proper supplements. Once she is a few months old you will want to cut her back in every second day and then only feed her less insects so that by the time she gets her big girl colors you will have her down to 3 to 5 crickets 2 or 3 times a week...or the same calories in other insects.

Veiled females can lay eggs like chickens....without a mate...so by doing this you will keep her clutches small or even stop them so it will be easier on her and she will live longer.

Once she is about 4 or 5 months old you will want to set up a laybin in her cage and leave it there always so she will have a place to lay her eggs if she needs to.

Hope this helps!
What’s the best kind of set up for a laybin?

There are lots of acceptable laybins....most used substrate...washed playsand that is jut moist enough to hold a tunnel. Depth at least 6 inches...big enough for the chameleon to have space to move around in.

Back
Top Bottom