greens and basking

curly

Ever since my baby veiled chameleon got in a fight with a cricket (hissing and lunging) he hasnt really been eating or been as active as normal, he also basks alot some days and not often other days..He has also been showing dark colors like the ones in the pictures (more like the first one) but he somtimes is a light green..and. What is the best way to introduce him to greens. I have Kale and Collard greens. I need alot of help ASAP please
leafychameleon1.jpg

mypics.jpg

stripe.jpg

color2.jpg

okay..I just thought of something..my room was cold so i out an electric heater in my room so maybe this will help...i still need suggestions please...I want to see him get big:eek:

Hiya Curly,

How about you start by giving us a rundown of your husbandry methods?

This is a direct copy of Brad's post in the health section:

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - What kind of cage are you using? What is the size?
  • Lighting - What kind of lighting are you using? How long do you keep the lights on during the day?
  • Temperature - What temperature range have you created? Basking spot temp? What is the temperature at night?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Location - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas?
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What kind of schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What are you dusting your feeders with and what kind of schedule do you use?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.
Pictures can really help as well.

here..i got it from here..i have bio vine in there a little dripper i mist it 4 times a day and now i have an electric heater on it because our log house gets drafty in the winter .oh.i got the chameleon from there too

he just ate a cricket when i walked in the room...all i seen was 2 legs sticking out of his mouth:)

What are the temperatures in the cage? Basking area and coolest? Temperature plays a part in the rate of digestion and if you keep him too cool he may process his food slowly and not eat as much. At a young age, this would stunt his growth somewhat.

Oops..forgot to answer your question about greens...
What I usually do is take a thin slice of apple and when the chameleon's mouth is open, stick the end in between its teeth so that when it closes its mouth, it will bite on it and get the taste. You can try this with a leafy green too. Once they get the taste and start to eat what you offer, I put chopped up greens (dandelion greens, kale, collards, endive, ROMAINE lettuce, etc.), veggies (slivers of sweet red pepper, zucchini, squash, carrot, sweet potato, etc.),and a little fruit (apple, pear, melon, peach, berries, etc.) in a dish in the cage. It serves two purposes...the veiled will eat it and so will any insects (as long as they can get into the dish)...so the insects stay gutloaded too.

Is it a problem if he has dark colours? my chameleon (veilded, 5 month male) is usually dark during the day . at night he goes to a lighter, but still kinda dark green

i just got my little crickets today...btw...how do i get his mouth open to stick it in there?

Back
Top Bottom