Great thing about using 'bioactive' substrate

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
Just ripped apart my one cage to move it and as usual went through my soil to see what was in it. Found a colony of BSFL, pupating, reproducing, and so on. I knew something was up because it seemed like there was an endless stream of soldier flies in that enclosure. Hoping I can get that to happen again in my parson's and new panther enclosure!

Oh sounds good! Free food! Always good!
I haven’t yet grown any but I buy them and let them pupate and sprinkle a handful in various vivs and it’s a nice steady emergence of flies for a bit of fun for them to catch.

Yeah honestly I was surprised, I didn't try to get them to do that. I just dumped some in several months back. They all pupated, and then just kept reproducing from there. The worms stay hidden, but the flies keep coming for easy snacks. I've read it can be difficult because they need uvb, space, food, etc

Yeah honestly I was surprised, I didn't try to get them to do that. I just dumped some in several months back. They all pupated, and then just kept reproducing from there. The worms stay hidden, but the flies keep coming for easy snacks. I've read it can be difficult because they need uvb, space, food, etc
still waiting on the upgrade to start a bioactive setup. youre just making me more excited.

I'll have to post some of my enclosures. I'm adjusting this one and adding some nepenthes, air plants, moss, and a few other things, but here's my YL parson's enclosure currently. Unfortunately he'll grow out of it. I have them for my Panthers too, but this is my favorite atm.

Attachments

• 20180506_152322.jpg
    20180506_152322.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 224
  • 20180506_152403.jpg
    20180506_152403.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 236
  • 20180506_152346.jpg
    20180506_152346.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 202
I like the looks of your enclosure!
I guess bioactive substrate that has insects breeding in it is a good bioactive substrate...

@Action Jackson thank you Craig, he's rarely in it. I have a free range set up for him outside that he's on constantly, that's where I feed him most of the time too. This cage is mainly just his room to sleep in atm lol. I also have a screen filtering some of the light up top until my other plants arrive because it's pretty bright.

Curious what you thought about something. here in PA it's been 80-100% humidity every night and I keep the window open in his room for airflow. If I mist for 30min-1hour each morning, the leaves still have some drops on them next morning. The branches do dry out though. Would there be any point in using my fogger or extra misting times considering the humidity is so high already? I keep a dripper for him outside, which he never touches.

Yeah it's so humid in PA right now. My cham room has been sitting at like 70% with windows open. I notice if a little mist gets on the floor it takes an entire day to evaporate.

Ya. Not good for someone who just bought a house with brand new hard wood floors. That's why I want to do a bio-exo-terra enclosure.

I’m new to the fogging at night thing and still very much in the experimental phase. I have been misting my indoor cages once a day at around 6pm for 20 minutes. My fogger comes on at 1am and goes off at 4:30am. So far I notice my Parson’s still drink pretty heavily during misting time. The cages also stay wet all night. I don’t think that is an issue as long as temps at night are cool.

@Action Jackson I haven't used the fogger yet, was going to set it up, but wasn't sure if there was a point if it's so humid already. He drinks and bathes every misting. Getting a temp drop down to about 65 give or take at night. I'm still new with parson's but everything indicates to me that he is doing well. Has taken to hand feeding roaches. Prefers the large winged ones. Gained almost 20grams in 2 weeks and showing a nice blue/teal color on his body. Very active and loves hunting insects outside.

Very glad I got this guy from you Craig, he's been awesome. Thank you for the response/help!

@Action Jackson I haven't used the fogger yet, was going to set it up, but wasn't sure if there was a point if it's so humid already. He drinks and bathes every misting. Getting a temp drop down to about 65 give or take at night. I'm still new with parson's but everything indicates to me that he is doing well. Has taken to hand feeding roaches. Prefers the large winged ones. Gained almost 20grams in 2 weeks and showing a nice blue/teal color on his body. Very active and loves hunting insects outside.

Very glad I got this guy from you Craig, he's been awesome. Thank you for the response/help!

I very happy to hear he’s doing good for you! It’s so cool to see their colors come in.

I would say if he’s doing good the way things are, don’t change a thing. I’m still not sure of the benefits of night fogging but I know my chameleons were doing fine before but I do mist a lot and thought the fogging might help cut down on misting. I use RO water and waste a ton of water because of that. I probably go though 30 gallons of RO water per day and the waste is probably 3-4 times that much.

Back
Top Bottom