Great bug ID site

PukaKeha

I found a caterpillar today that was huge and really pretty so I wanted to find out what it was. I found this realy cool site for bug ID. www.whatsthatbug.com
Here is a picture of the caterpillar and a picture of the moth it turns into.
daphnis_nerii_cat_pukalani.jpg

oleander_sphinx.jpg

Wow... delightful! Thank you as I've gone buggie loving crazy lately. I have a pet bug that I take good care of. He's funny and healthy... so... Been a month now.
lol
So having this site to refer to is GREAT!!! Thank you!

I found a caterpillar today that was huge and really pretty so I wanted to find out what it was. I found this realy cool site for bug ID. www.whatsthatbug.com

Did you take the pics? Nice shots! Oleander or Pandora Sphinx? I love the sphinx moths. What's that bug is a neat site, but sometimes hard to read - just the way they have it laid out (maybe it's just my old eyes ;) Here's a neat site for Sphinx of US

Another really good identification site is: bugguide.net It started out as a guy's personal photography site (Troy Bartlett) and is now being hosted by Iowa State University Entomology Dept. I stumbled on Troy's website years ago and stayed on his update list so have followed the whole process. It is pretty impressive as many authors, professional photographers, entomologists (as well as little folk like me) are there for I.D. request, taxonomy, forums, book reviews and zillions of photos (some of mine!)
Be sure to check it out sometime or if you find a bug you need help with - or you could ask me, too. I'm pretty intimate with a lot of "non-feeder" insects . It all started with a collection I had to do for my Horticulture Degree - kill and identify! I hated the killing part but I have one heck of a nice collection and I spent HOURS i.d.ing. Once we had to do a pond sweep and I picked all the dragon and damselfly larvae out. When I got home with my dead bugs I found I'd missed one! As a tribute to the poor little thing I i.d.'d down to species - not an easy thing to do for the larva of those critters, but I was hooked. I've been a bug girl ever since! :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom