Gravity Drains...

Beman

Social Media Manager
Staff member
So I have decided I will be adding Gravity drains to my Dragon Strand drip pans.... I am following the guide Bill Strand has on his website. Is there anything I should know specific about these?
I will be joining the two cages with a T and then having one tube to the bucket. I really do not want to mess this up and am super anxious about doing it. I still have to get the glue at the store. Would yall recommend something specifically if they do not have the one Bill suggests in the article?
https://dragonstrand.com/a-simple-gravity-drain-for-dragon-strand-drainage-trays/

So I have decided I will be adding Gravity drains to my Dragon Strand drip pans.... I am following the guide Bill Strand has on his website. Is there anything I should know specific about these?
I will be joining the two cages with a T and then having one tube to the bucket. I really do not want to mess this up and am super anxious about doing it. I still have to get the glue at the store. Would yall recommend something specifically if they do not have the one Bill suggests in the article?
https://dragonstrand.com/a-simple-gravity-drain-for-dragon-strand-drainage-trays/
Gel cyanoacrylates are pretty standard now; I don't think you'll have any problem finding them, but there are a number of possible alternatives, including clear silicone (e.g. GE 1).

A handy reference to bookmark is https://www.thistothat.com/
Because people have a need to glue things to other things
One of their recommendations is Household Goop, which is basically a silicone product as well.
IDK for sure, but I suspect some Flex Seal products (like their glue) are likewise silicone-based.

Forgot to mention... I would test that T arrangement before gluing. I don't know if (with that small tube dia.) it might develop an air lock at the T. Shouldn't have that problem with separate lines.

Gel cyanoacrylates are pretty standard now; I don't think you'll have any problem finding them, but there are a number of possible alternatives, including clear silicone (e.g. GE 1).

A handy reference to bookmark is https://www.thistothat.com/

One of their recommendations is Household Goop, which is basically a silicone product as well.
IDK for sure, but I suspect some Flex Seal products (like their glue) are likewise silicone-based.
Thank you... my cage comes today... so I have to run get the glue at some point after it gets delivered. I could not see myself wet vacuuming 2 enclosures this size every other day for the rest of their lives lol. But I am so stressed about drilling through the drip pan. I am sure I am over analyzing it and it will be fine. But not wanting to mess up either lol. Once I have Beman moved over to the new enclosure I will be modifying the old cage completely and add the drain on its pan as well.

Forgot to mention... I would test that T arrangement before gluing. I don't know if (with that small tube dia.) it might develop an air lock at the T. Shouldn't have that problem with separate lines.
yeah I am considering getting a T that converts to a 1/2 inch hose to go into the bucket... what do you think?

yeah I am considering getting a T that converts to a 1/2 inch hose to go into the bucket... what do you think?
That should help, but my experience with such small tubing is limited. Just in case, I'd keep a semi-stiff wire handy to clear the line if necessary, then hope it's never necessary. :rolleyes:

Others here probably have more practical experience with these drains.

Worst case, separate lines can still drain into the same bucket, and you save having to get the T and 1/2" hose.

Worst case, separate lines can still drain into the same bucket, and you save having to get the T and 1/2" hose.
I am also considering doing the gravity drain with a 1/2 inch connector.... then 1/2 tubing. Then I do not have to worry about it getting clogged either. This makes sense in my head but I don't know. lol I am going to look at the 1/2 inch will I am at the store today. I have the 1/4 inch and they are so tiny. I could see that even the slightest thing could back it up.

Be sure to post the set up !. Like a video you know how I am got to see it !. I’m thinking I may do too . Especially once I upgrade !.

Be sure to post the set up !. Like a video you know how I am got to see it !. I’m thinking I may do too . Especially once I upgrade !.
lol I will do a video for you. I hate having to upload to a secondary to share here. It will be interesting because I have to do it in two steps... Not being able to add the old cage to the system until I get it converted and Beman out of it. lol. I am also doing a PVC fogging line T'd to both enclosures. I am going to do the curtain method where I drill holes in the pipe facing toward the cage and have it run the length of the back of both enclosures sitting on top of the screen so I don't have to tear a huge hole through the cage top.
I just want to get started lol.

If I was putting drains in an enclosure and with tubing that small I would make a catch basin inside the enclosure. That way nothing would be able to get into the tubing large enough to create a blockage. Simple example would be a plastic food container (with holes in it) that the tubing runs into. Fill the container and surrounded the tubing with rock just bigger than the tubing. Water and small particles go through, but larger pieces stopped.

If I was putting drains in an enclosure and with tubing that small I would make a catch basin inside the enclosure. That way nothing would be able to get into the tubing large enough to create a blockage. Simple example would be a plastic food container (with holes in it) that the tubing runs into. Fill the container and surrounded the tubing with rock just bigger than the tubing. Water and small particles go through, but larger pieces stopped.
Yeah I have the DS Easy drip trays that come with a screen that lays on top of the tray so the chance of larger objects getting down into my water is pretty slim.

I have the DS cage and installed the 1/4” drain tube. My drain tube tends to get ”air locked” from time to time. I use a small basketball air pump to blow back up the drain line and it clears and then drains. I plan to change to a larger size.

I have the DS cage and installed the 1/4” drain tube. My drain tube tends to get ”air locked” from time to time. I use a small basketball air pump to blow back up the drain line and it clears and then drains. I plan to change to a larger size.
Awesome thank you for letting me know. I will go with the 1/2 inch instead.

Back
Top Bottom