Gravid Yellow-lip?

I just got an adult pair of imported Yellow-lips in and the they are both just massive. The female is very, very plump, so I thought I'd run it by the forum to see if anyone knows what a gravid Parson's looks like (is there a coloration?).

They have been hitting the crickets and hissing roaches pretty hard, and of course rehydrating.

IMG_5849.jpg

DSCF2535.jpg

DSCF2527.jpg

Here's the male...he's absolutely massive, although he sure doesn't look like it in the picture. Largest chameleon I've ever seen.
IMG_5850.jpg

Have you rubbed her belly and noticed any eggs? She looks big enough. Are they for sale or are you keeping this pair?

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I actually haven't tried palpating her yet.

Yep they'll be for sale, I don't have the time or space to focus on them--maybe when I retire a couple decades from now.

well orange eyes females at some point in gravidti they show yellow colors on their " bak sail" and on their head, I dont know if it is the same with yellow lips:)

If she is gravid it would be early in the gestation, they usually lay in the middle of winter sometime.. so flipping from the southern hemisphere would be summer time here. You might have trouble getting her to lay as they take environmental cues to trigger the egg laying process (decreased light and temperature.)
The females have a larger looking belly like this when producing follicles and ovulating, so her plumpness isn't a very good indicator of calcified eggs being produced. Only way to know for sure is to palpate or x-ray. They don't necessarily change color when gravid, at least not from my experience.:p

Cool stuff!

Try and get a picture of that male with a size comparison in the photo. he looks massive! Those branches dont look to be very small, and he is man handling them. ha!

If she is gravid it would be early in the gestation, they usually lay in the middle of winter sometime.. so flipping from the southern hemisphere would be summer time here. You might have trouble getting her to lay as they take environmental cues to trigger the egg laying process (decreased light and temperature.)
The females have a larger looking belly like this when producing follicles and ovulating, so her plumpness isn't a very good indicator of calcified eggs being produced. Only way to know for sure is to palpate or x-ray. They don't necessarily change color when gravid, at least not from my experience.:p

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Everything that a greenhouse provides seasonal changes in temperatures, light, rain, humidity, even wind. It is the best way to recreate the tropics with that are ideal/perfect for Calumma parsonii parsonii.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom