Gravid. Yay or nay?

camimom

Recently bred this little female, and wondering if she appears to be showing gravid coloring.

Two pics from before and two pics from after breeding.

20140920_154111[1].jpg

20140920_154135[1].jpg

20140926_080822[1].jpg

20140926_080810[1].jpg

It's hard to say I've had one look similar gravid. Have you put a male in front of her? Does she gape?

Scott

nope she still hasn't gaped at him, but shes not a big gaping girl either, shes very chill, very laid back.

she avoids the male when I get them together, but im just not sure.

I agree it is hard to tell. Honestly most of my females will not keep their gravid coloration after the male is removed from sight. So for the most part they will keep their normal pale colors and just lose their receptive coloration after matting. They will only be black when a male is around.

I would hold her up at a male in his cage so she can't really run and hid and see if she starts to gap or turn black. That will be the best way to tell if she is or isn't.

I agree it is hard to tell. Honestly most of my females will not keep their gravid coloration after the male is removed from sight. So for the most part they will keep their normal pale colors and just lose their receptive coloration after matting. They will only be black when a male is around.

I would hold her up at a male in his cage so she can't really run and hid and see if she starts to gap or turn black. That will be the best way to tell if she is or isn't.

alrighty, thanks!

If her colors are darker then they normally are then she's gravid.
They look darker to me in the pics.

If she's gravid then she should darken the background colors and rock back and forth, gape, hiss, etc when the male is around. If she remains calm and maybe moves slowly away from him she is not likely gravid.

I have one female that when she is gravid, she just turns a bit darker and will gape at the male when she sees him. Her colors do not drastically change but after seeing her for so long, i can just tell.
I have an Ambanja girl however that when she is gravid, her colors do a complete 360. She turns from a Salmon/Pink color to a Black/Purple/Hot Pink color. Shes super easy to tell. :)

Your girl does look darker. Just keep a closer eye on her. ;)

My female shows strong dark gravid colors when the male is nearby, but still keeps the colors to a certain degree even when he's not. Here's a pic of her right after, and then another of her just hanging out a few days later.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 102
I have a female, that will almost never gape at the male when gravid. But, she will display gravid colors almost immediately. I've also noticed virgin females don't get as gravid crazy as others that have been through the process a time or two.

Scott

Back
Top Bottom