Gravid Vieleds?

Jebbio24

My Vieled is about 6 Months old I guess. I've had her from 31st July and she was approx a month old. She's starting to show some very interesting colours rather than just green so I've been keeping a close eye on her for obvious reasons. I've heard some horror stories about gravid chams dying simply because owners are not in the know! Can someone please post up the link to an imformative thread on here as I'm guessing it's been discussed on here many times over!

Just a quick question, How old does a female have to be before laying eggs?

Any more information would be very helpful

Thanks ;)

This blog is going to be your best friend with you girly: http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

Make sure you pay close attention to her food intake, like in the blog. This is important for two reasons. 1, you can keep her metabolism low and hopefully keep her from producing eggs or producing a huge amount of eggs. And 2, it's HUGELY usefuly when you weigh her. You should weigh her once a week, and if you see her gaining a lot of weight every week but her food intake is the same it's a possible inclination that she's producing eggs. Be diligent about her calcium intake, so the eggs don't suck it away from her bones.

She could be at young as 5 months I think I've heard, but 6-7 months is more normal.

This is also a good blog: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html

Hope that helps!

That's great. Thanks for your help. The pet store I got her from was more interested in selling her and making money I think! I seem to get different info from alot of sources!Always best to find out more info from a forum! Cheers ;)

I would also recommend that you provide her with an opaque container of moistened washed playsand in her cage so that she has somewhere to dig to show you when she's ready to lay eggs. It should be at least 12" deep x1 2" x 8".

At 6 months she may be getting her adult colouring - my Amy blossomed over about a week, going from green to green with gold and blue markings! Females are stunning!:D It would be a good idea as already suggested to get her a laying bin ready for when she needs it.

At 6 months she may be getting her adult colouring - my Amy blossomed over about a week, going from green to green with gold and blue markings! Females are stunning!:D .

Exactly the same as mine ;) She's changed over the course of a few days! Amazing colours!

Critical Thinking

You have a HUGE BIG point there. You will get so many different opinions on the internet from so many people that say they have so many years of experience. I'm not saying ignore them by any means. Take in as much info as you can from as many as you can't and use that info in a systematic approach. I have the same issue you with a very young female Veiled Chameleon right now. She is one of a breeding pair. I think it would be safe to just make sure that egg laying box is there. Its always better safer than sorry. I have to say that some of the best info I have read did come from this forum. Keep reading and take what everyone says into consideration. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom