Gravid, Pinworms, Wasps and Donuts

opheliaeatsbugs

Avid Member
Back from the vet. Dr. Greek is great. So happy he is not too far away.

Yesterday, O went out for some sun. I fed her before but she still decided to snag a wild flying thing. A wasp. I about died. I thought about trying to scoop it out but it was swallowed too fast. Then she sat with her mouth open, as if to say "spicy!". Dr. Greek said "well, she's still alive" when I told him today. Thanks, thanks a lot lolol

She has gained about 20g in 3-4weeks but he said she looks good, not fat. He said they have a couple fat pockets but they were not visible in the xray. He showed me a picture of a fat cham and pointed out the casque looks bloated or swollen.

For reference and comparison, he took xrays to see what changes had occurred. Pictures below. He said that there has not been much change. There has not been any shell/calcification made to the eggs/follicles... her belly is still soft.

O was good enough to poop on the way there. The fecal float ($40) showed a few pin worms (which come from other reptiles) so he said she has most likely had them since I got her. He gave me Panacur Suspension ($16.75) - 3 doses to be administered once every 2 weeks (0.1 ml per 100 grams).

He said it is not too unusual to dig like this but how can we really know what she's thinking. She may dig off and on for months and she may not lay, she could have large ovaries/follicles. So many possibilities. But he said she looks great, keep doing what I'm doing. She has good bone strength, muscles, body composition, well hydrated, active, poops, eats/drinks, etc.

He said, if it was his cham, he would not give hormones, he felt it was too early. He didn't feel she needed any intervention. He said, if there is a change in any of those things... then come back.

I put some new flowers in her enclosure, and added a dripper which she is really liking and I bought me and the kids Krispy Kreme donuts... I deserve them. And a nap.

Thanks friends for your help, concern and advice. I appreciate you and O thanks you <3
@Nursemaia @Andee @kinyonga

Attachments

• 20170531_095247.jpg
    20170531_095247.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 20170531_095337.jpg
    20170531_095337.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 20170531_100651.jpg
    20170531_100651.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 20170531_100701.jpg
    20170531_100701.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 20170531_101301.jpg
    20170531_101301.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 102
  • 20170531_102427.jpg
    20170531_102427.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 20170531_102709.jpg
    20170531_102709.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 152
If all chams were taken care of just half as good as Ophelia that would be wonderful!!! Thanks for the update! How did you come up with her name? It always reminds me of the movie "Pan's Labyrinth" when I hear it, even though they are spelled different (the name of the girl in the movie)!

I never know how people come up with such good names. I have only two chams and one is still not named and the other is Spike - so unoriginal!!!

If all chams were taken care of just half as good as Ophelia that would be wonderful!!! Thanks for the update! How did you come up with her name? It always reminds me of the movie "Pan's Labyrinth" when I hear it, even though they are spelled different (the name of the girl in the movie)!

I never know how people come up with such good names. I have only two chams and one is still not named and the other is Spike - so unoriginal!!!

Her name came from The Lumineers song "Ophelia" haha not very imaginitive - we sing it to her alllll the time - I'm sure she's glad she can't hear us LOL
I had a green iguana for over 20 years and her name was Gladys (Elvis Presleys' moms name) but we just called her Monster... because she was huge and amazing.

You should put your no-name's pic on the forum and let us name him/her :)

Her name came from The Lumineers song "Ophelia" haha not very imaginitive - we sing it to her alllll the time - I'm sure she's glad she can't hear us LOL
I had a green iguana for over 20 years and her name was Gladys (Elvis Presleys' moms name) but we just called her Monster... because she was huge and amazing.

You should put your no-name's pic on the forum and let us name him/her :)

Well somehow Ophelia just fits her sooo perfectly and it's a great cham name!!! If you haven't seen the movie it's actually quite good!

I had a female iguana for 18 years!!! You'll never guess what her name was!!! Yes it was Iggy!!!!! Lol

I have thought about doing that (to get help here naming mine) and really need to!!! I'll have to get a couple good pics and make a post! Since he doesn't have a name I call him Buddy right now but not sure if I want that to be his permanent name!

Well somehow Ophelia just fits her sooo perfectly and it's a great cham name!!! If you haven't seen the movie it's actually quite good!

I had a female iguana for 18 years!!! You'll never guess what her name was!!! Yes it was Iggy!!!!! Lol

I have thought about doing that (to get help here naming mine) and really need to!!! I'll have to get a couple good pics and make a post! Since he doesn't have a name I call him Buddy right now but not sure if I want that to be his permanent name!

Iggy!! LOLOL haha you are bad at this ;)
Well, names have a way of sticking... you might find you call him Buddy no matter what you might name him at this point - that's what happened to poor Gladys. But I call Ophelia Gladys all the time. I miss my iggy... the only pet I've cried at losing - I should have known then I was a scale-baby mom and not a fur-baby mom haha

I'll check out the movie :)

Pan's Labyrinth is one of my favorite movies albeit dark and disturbing

Spicy! LOL

You and O will pull through this.

I had to give Moe panacur also, along with his gout meds daily. He takes it like a champ. I know O will also. She looks so pretty. Hoping she will lay soon to relieve some stress. Enjoy your donuts and nap!

I'm glad you took her...at least now you know where things stand!
Yes, for sure. Like you said, it's really difficult for anyone on the forums to know what is up with her. If I had more experience... I said that to Dr. Greek and he replied that he has been keeping reptiles since he was 5 and it can still be impossible to truly know unless you get really invasive and that is not where we are at.

I've been keeping them for over 25 years and I still make mistakes when figuring out what's going on...there's just too much to learn and they are complicated and so hard to read.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom