Gravid Panther

toddmkeller

Avid Member
There have been a lot of questions recently concerning whether your panther is gravid or not... Well, I am going to try to help clear that up with some photos:
Receptive (becoming gravid)
3804954238_75a166b79d_o.jpg

Gravid:
3824824286_a6c64ee160_o.jpg

No matter what the situation it is a good idea to have a laying bin in a sexually mature panthers cage, females won't always make it that clear that they are gravid and it is hard to catch the subtle signs that they are ready to lay to the unexperienced eye.

Hope this helps,

Todd

i agree, this is alot of help, but is this a constant look when gravid? and will it be this obvious from the start if they don't mate at all?

or is this only when introduced to a male? will they still maintain normal colors when resting/non agitated?

i agree, this is alot of help, but is this a constant look when gravid? and will it be this obvious from the start if they don't mate at all?

or is this only when introduced to a male? will they still maintain normal colors when resting/non agitated?

Depends on the female. That girl sits around and even sleeps in this black coloration. But sometimes she shows an almost receptive coloration. If they are unreceptive but not gravid they won't go into this coloration if introduced to a male, they will probably just get the darkend bars and gape. Gravid females also tend to be a lot rounder than your average female (if you keep them on a healthy diet) even just a week after mating. This girl pictured didn't show her gravid coloration till 2 days after mating, where I have had a female who went into the coloration instantly after mating.

See Ya,

Todd

if my female panther chameleon looks exactly like the one in the gravid shot above, except that the stripes are vibrant orange, what does that mean?

Back
Top Bottom