Gravid Panther Chameleon- question!

bldurbin

Here's a pic of my gravid female Iris ( first time of me owning her and having eggs) . Just curious since shes already gravid and these colors if it is possible to be put with a male to fertilize the eggs? Shes been these beautiful colors for about 3-4 days now. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMAG0664.jpg
    IMAG0664.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 144
This should have been posted in the breeding forum. But to answer your question, yes, you can put her with a male if she's still receptive.

Mat3o...If she's either non-receptive or gravid she will repel be male if you put her within sight of him. She will sway back and forth, takes, hiss, take on a dark background color, lunge at the male, etc to repel him.

Bldurbin...if the eggs have already been shelled then they can't be fertilized...and here is no real way short of an xray to tell this. If you show the female to the male and she doesn't not repel him (behave aggressively to him) they can be put together to mate.

Last edited:
she might just not be receptive right now im dealing with the same thing with my chams just in case make her a lay box and if she lays incubate them until the mold over the should mold over within a month if there bad. i just missed breeding mine for the winter and shes showing those colors but darker and wont let my male close.

she might just not be receptive right now im dealing with the same thing with my chams just in case make her a lay box and if she lays incubate them until the mold over the should mold over within a month if there bad. i just missed breeding mine for the winter and shes showing those colors but darker and wont let my male close.
I don't think the OP has tried putting her with a male yet. The OP is asking if it is possible to try, since she appears to be holding eggs. Also, from the photo it appears she is already in a lay box.

I don't think the OP has tried putting her with a male yet. The OP is asking if it is possible to try, since she appears to be holding eggs. Also, from the photo it appears she is already in a lay box.

well panthers can retain sperm and lay infertile clutches twice a year anyway. so if she lays id just incubate them anyway and make sure to start pumping her with calcium just in case!

today

We put her the same cage as a male and she was not aggressive towards him in any way so Im guessing she is not gravid after all, but receptive. Were putting her back in the males cage tonight and she is not digging around in the sand box shes staying up on the limbs in the cage.

Attachments

• IMAG0666.jpg
    IMAG0666.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 54
We put her the same cage as a male and she was not aggressive towards him in any way so Im guessing she is not gravid after all, but receptive. Were putting her back in the males cage tonight and she is not digging around in the sand box shes staying up on the limbs in the cage.

good luck! hopefully you can get a nice clutch :)

Mat3o...If she's either non-receptive or gravid she will repel be male if you put her within sight of him. She will sway back and forth, takes, hiss, take on a dark background color, lunge at the male, etc to repel him.
But I asked how does OP know she is gravid? For me the female looked receptive.

Oh yeah she is receptive, she has mated with our male multiple times now. Thank you everyone for your help!

Back
Top Bottom