Grasshoppers/locusts??

MissMeela

Established Member
Does anyone feed grasshoppers/locusts to their chameleon? I haven't seen much topic on this nor have I seen where to get them..? Thanks in advance :)

i lived in oregon growing up.... it was hard to get crickets where im from, so i used to catch grass hoppers, among other things, and feed them to my Jackson.... wild caught, but in an area where... pesticides were not used. as with any wild caught animal, there is always a risk of parasites....

This might sound silly, but I worry about feeding Zeus house flies.. Let alone bugs that I've caught from outside. Just can't take the chance.. #worriedmomma
How are the freeze dried ones? I'd rather feed him live ones, but can't seem to find any online..

P.s...I know house flies come in from outside. I mean ones that live in grass that have a better chance of getting into pesticides.. Lol

You can feed bugs from outside so long as they are not toxic (locusts are) and that they are not from areas where pesticides are sprayed. I used to feed my chams WC katydids from here in Florida. You can also get some species of moths, flies, grasshoppers, etc.. Just always make sure you know what you are feeding and where you get them from! I always encourage feeding varied diet as that not only mixes things up, but also stimulates the chameleon to different prey items.

Never fed our on WC insects, you can buy them online same as crix etc. Far easier to handle than crickets too.
I would be worried about flies too, you never know what they have landed on.

If you are in the US you can order flies known as Blue Bottle "spikes" (aka maggots). Mantisplace.com is a sponsor, it is like $11.00 shipped for 500. I would guess UK would have these too.

If they come in fresh, they will feed out over 2-3 weeks if you follow my care sheet, and they will be a favorite feeder due to the constant fast movement.

As a side note, Locusts are a feeder insect in the UK, so not all insects we call locusts are poisonous.
I live in washington, and all our grasshoppers are fair game!

If you want a care sheet on BB flies I can send you one, email me at [email protected].

Back
Top Bottom